cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a 3rd party router while I wait for the Wifi Hub?

vits555
Just Moved In

I have recently ordered a 1Gig Purefiber Internet connection for my condo.

There are no other services attached and I intent to use only the Internet service with Telus.

As per Telus there have been some issues recently with their shipping of the WiFi Hub and they are trying to fix it.

In the meanwhile, I am being told they will be able to ship the device within 3 to 5 business days, which I DO NOT trust as all the customer service folks I spoke with are giving me conflicting information and seem to not know what is going on.

I was wondering in the meanwhile, can I connect a 3rd party router like - TP-Link AX3000, directly to my ONT and get service?

Has anyone done this and if so, which router/device did you'll use?

Any help is highly appreciated as this is turning out to be quite an ordeal to get a simple internet connection.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

As long as port 1 on the ONT is connected to the WAN or Internet port on your router, it should work fine. The only time the Wifi Hub is absolutely required is if you had Optik TV.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

As long as port 1 on the ONT is connected to the WAN or Internet port on your router, it should work fine. The only time the Wifi Hub is absolutely required is if you had Optik TV.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

That's what I thought.

Thank you so much for confirming.

I'll go buy a router this evening and test to see how it goes.