cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect a router via ethernet cable off of the new Telus modem?

Steve19
Neighbour
Scenario: Two houses, same address. the Telus modem was installed at one house (it's only like 12 feet away( and it is feeding to a garage panel to provide the other house internet and TV.

The wifi booster is in a room downstairs and I have 2 Deco M9 plus units for a mesh network in one house. My question is for the other house, can I plug in a router in one of the ethernet slots directly off of the Telus modem to provide internet? I tried to plug one of the Deco discs in and it didn't work. Also tried an old router that I tried and did not work either. Thank you for your feedback
6 REPLIES 6

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are these two homes the property belong to one owner? What modem is installed where the actual service is?

Yes, it's basically an addition to the original house. I'm just trying to get wifi over to that side. it's the newest modem/booster Telus has, signed up for Pure Fibre Gigabite

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which device is it that you are referring to as a modem?

1. NH20A.png
  2. ONT.jpg
  3. t3200m.png
  4. wifihub (2).jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

the first picture.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If it's the first picture, plugging one of the Deco nodes or another router into one of the LAN ports on there should work.

There are two things that right off that bat could be an issue, and the second I know for sure affects the Deco.

1. If you're connecting the LAN ports on the Telus gateway to the one of the LAN ports on the Deco / third party router, that would cause an IP conflict and a failed connection. Normally if it's connected from LAN on the gateway to the Internet or WAN port on the back of either of those devices, it should work.
  2. IP address subnet conflict. I know the Deco will be affected by this as the default address is 192.168.1.1. You'd need to make sure the Deco / router is not using the same 192.168.1.x IP range that the Telus gateway is by default. You'd have to log in to either the Deco or third party router and change the IP range from 192.168.1.x to something like 192.168.10.x. You may have to make these changes to them while they are not connected to the Telus gateway. Once changed, reconnect the Deco / router to the gateway and reboot them. Check if things work.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

thank you for the suggestion, I will try this later and get back to you.