cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypass Telus ONT/router with SFP in own router

Titanium
Organizer
Some claim this will work, others say it has problems and wont.

Let's say your default fiber setup is a Telus optical SFP transceiver attached to the T3200M/other.
Unplug the SFP and plug it into your own SFP capable router, or into a media converter and then a SFP to RJ45 and cat6 to your own non-SFP router, done. A few comments here and other places online claim it's as easy as that.

DrPackman here claims...
"TELUS installed the T3200M router/gateway on my system so the SFP module was already registered with TELUS. Pulled it from the router and install it in the USG Pro 4. That was it…"
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Eliminate-Nokia-ONT-go-direct-to-my-own-router-s-SFP-...

But other people say it's not really possible for home residential use (my purpose)

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Business/Regular-Internet-outages-when-using-bypassing-Telus-router/td-p/...

Claiming outages every hour due to "non-standard implementation of ARP (Address Resolution Protocol)"
And then say that "Telus will enable ARP on a business service but will not on a residential service, so in that case you're stuck with the ActionTec modem" aka not possible to bypass for home.

Also a distant colleague claims he plugged the Telus SFP into his router but it didn't work until he changes the Mac address of the router and that telus SFP is locked to only a certain Mac address device "
"I have router with SFP module I take out (Telus) SFP module and insert in my router change mac address of router and it works but if you don't change mac address it will not work"

So these two problems mentioned are conflicting with the comments of other people saying it just works. If it works you'd think they'd mention in their posts they have mac issues and constant ARP network drops
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Titanium Wrote: DrPacman here claims...TELUS 1Gb/s fiber directly connected to a Ubiquity Security Gateway Pro 4 via the Wan 1 SFP port. Works flawlessly…

Well all I can tell you is I ran my 1Gbps fibre into a Ubiquity Security Gateway Pro 4 for over a year that way without one single problem. Then I upgraded to a Ubiquiti USG-XG-8 router, and had to lock the SFP+ WAN port at 1Gbps. That as well has worked flawlessly for the last 2 odd years.

Now I have upgraded to the 1.5Gbps service and had to place the FX500 into bridged mode and had to now lock the SFP+ WAN port at 10Gbps. again seeing no problems.

I guess it all depend on what router you utilize. I would guess some cheap routers may have problems. However, I have not.... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Titanium Wrote: DrPacman here claims...TELUS 1Gb/s fiber directly connected to a Ubiquity Security Gateway Pro 4 via the Wan 1 SFP port. Works flawlessly…

Well all I can tell you is I ran my 1Gbps fibre into a Ubiquity Security Gateway Pro 4 for over a year that way without one single problem. Then I upgraded to a Ubiquiti USG-XG-8 router, and had to lock the SFP+ WAN port at 1Gbps. That as well has worked flawlessly for the last 2 odd years.

Now I have upgraded to the 1.5Gbps service and had to place the FX500 into bridged mode and had to now lock the SFP+ WAN port at 10Gbps. again seeing no problems.

I guess it all depend on what router you utilize. I would guess some cheap routers may have problems. However, I have not.... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

DrPackman, first of all, thank you for getting back to me so quickly and for your reply. I appreciate it.

Two more quick questions.

Does your Telus provided SFP run hot? I saw a few people claim Telus preferred the dedicated ONT setup due to the optical SFP transceiver running hot. Maybe this issue is solved 2023.

Also you mentioned you set the speed to avoid issues. I heard some very simmilar comments that the telus SFP kept trying to negotiate 2.5GBASE-X and that people's systems only supported 1G or 10G causing issue.

@Titanium Wrote: Does your Telus provided SFP run hot?

The SFP indeed was very warm, however, I never noticed that it caused any issues with my equipment. I have all my equipment in a well ventilated area. That seems to do the trick.

Personally I have not heard of a SFP module trying to negotiate at either 2.5Gbps, nor 10Gbps. However, that being said. In my opinion, that would indeed create an issue, as the ports are very specifically designed to connect at standard speeds.

1.5Gbps, 2.5Gbps, 5Gbps are non standard SFP speeds and will Not connect correctly to a Ubiquiti router with a SFP WAN input.

The method of connecting directly to a Ubiquiti modem with TELUS, is to have the 1Gbps fibre service. Anything faster requires laving the TELUS supplied equipment in place in bridged mode utilizing the 10Gbps port on it to connect to a 10Gbps WAN port on the Ubiquiti routing device.