cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode - Using Your Own Router (New)

Lotusland
Organizer

Hi, can someone shed some light on this:

I have a  Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream™ AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit WiFi Router which I would like to use instead of the Telus Actiontec T3200M Gateway in my home.  All my Telus Optik boxes are connected via moca ethernet over coax adapters.

Would the following setup work:

Nokia ONT -> T3200M (Bridge Mode) -> Port 1 -> ethernet cable > to the WAN Port of the > Linksys Router -> then LAN port 1 or any LAN port out of my router to > ethernet cable > moca adapter that feeds the signal to the other moca adapters in the home via coax.  

I believe my Linksys router has the multicast filtering option/support.

Will my Telus Optik boxes work correctly in this setup?

Would this setup make my Linksys router fail at some point?

I like using the moca ethernet over coax adapters, so I want to continue using them.

Please advise.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the Linksys router has multicast ability, then you do not need the T3200M.

Another option is to put a switch between the ONT, and it the T3200M and Linksys in parallel, using the T3200M for TV, and the Linksys for the rest of your network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the Linksys router has multicast ability, then you do not need the T3200M.

Another option is to put a switch between the ONT, and it the T3200M and Linksys in parallel, using the T3200M for TV, and the Linksys for the rest of your network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

abcd
Organizer

"Another option is to put a switch between the ONT, and it the T3200M and Linksys in parallel, using the T3200M for TV, and the Linksys for the rest of your network."

that is exactly the setup I have since I added Optik TV a few years ago. The Telus installer kindly provided me a switch when I explained I wanted to keep my existing router and home network configuration, separate from the TV

ONT -> 4 port switch;  

4port switch port 1 -> T3200M -> wireless and MOCA coax connections to Optik TV PVR and STBs

4port switch port 2 -> my own router, existing separate WiFi SSID and ethernet network

@abcd Good day,

Would you mind telling us what model switch Telus provided you for this installation? having some heat issues with the one that I'm using (Not Telus provided) and would replace it with the same model Telus uses.... Cheers

------------------

that is exactly the setup I have since I added Optik TV a few years ago. The Telus installer kindly provided me a switch when I explained I wanted to keep my existing router and home network configuration, separate from the TV

it's a Zyxel GS-105i

Lotusland
Organizer
Hi guys, thank you for your responses.

So I tried the following:

Nokia ONT (Fibre Modem) -> Linksys Router -> Moca Adapter > and all seems to be working fine. All my TELUS 4K boxes are connected via the moca Ethernet over coax adapters work fine. I took the Actiontec T3200M Gateway/Router out of the equation and put it aside. I disabled the multicast filtering option on the Linksys Router.

When I got fibre installed they used an SFP ONT into the T3200M not the dedicated box. However whent he 3200 is in bridge mode only port 1 is bridged through and the other 3 ports and the MOCA port work like normal with the 192.168.1.0/24 network.

So the suggestion by someone else above would work with 

ONT -> Switch -> Linksys

Switch -> T3200M Port 1-4 and/or MOCA -> STB

Or you could also go like this with T3200M in bridge mode (This is how mine is setup)

ONT -> T3200M Port 1 Bridged -> Linksys

T3200M Port 2-4 and/or MOCA -> STB