cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost wifi 6 hub - connect to home router?

canadave
Neighbour

Just got Telus fiber gig internet installed today, and just have a few questions 🙂

My setup is that the NAH modem is in bridged mode on Port 1, to which I have my own personal router connected.

So for the Boost hub, it's currently connected to the NAH modem directly, not through my personal router. If I want to use it as a wireless access point on my own LAN network, I just plug it into one of the LAN ports of my own router, correct?

For devices that do connect through my own router, I take it the NAT on the modem is disabled in bridged mode on Port 1, right?

Lastly, just curious--how good is the Boost hub for wifi? Is it reliable? I have another router I use as a wireless AP in the one part of my house where I don't get good wifi coverage, so just wondering if it's worth replacing that.

2 REPLIES 2

DrPacman
Rockstar

@canadave Wrote: I just plug it into one of the LAN ports of my own router, correct?

That should work very well...

Again correct, when in bridged mode the signal is just passed through port 1 of your Telus device.  

You look like you could have a couple of options with your 3rd question. You are capable of connecting either one of the secondary devices to agrner WiFi access, or for the matter you could utilize both of those devices in different parts of the house to give you better overlapping WiFi access for the matter.

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

mcraft23
Just Moved In

Just in case anybody comes across this in the future:

You can indeed use the Boost wifi with your own router.  Its just an Access Point afterall.  I have my modem in bridge mode, providing Wan access to my home router.  Then I have another port on my router setup for Wireless Access and just plugged the Telus Boost AP in and it got an IP.  I then navigated to that IP and setup the wifi by loging in with the username : admin and the password: whats shown on a sticker on the boost AP.

Keep in mind I'm running Pfsense on a custom box and your home router will need to be setup correctly to Access Points to be plugged into whatever port youre gonna use, and Im not sure if all home routers can do that.  But if your home router works with any other branded AP, it will work with the boost Telus AP too.