cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost Router - Need to Disconnect and Reconnect Frequently to Print from Mac or iPhone - How to Fix?

kalyniuk
Organizer

Hi - we have the Boost Wi-Fi Router and two Boost stations. We use a combination of MacBooks and iPhone devices. We have to frequently disconnect and reconnect to print via Epson Wi-Fi printer (IP or Airplay) or to access certain websites. We use one SSID with a combination of 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ devices. What is going on and how can we fix? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may wish to split your bands and use separate SSID's for the bands. I've found that my various Apple devices aren't always happy roaming around and choosing the 'best' band.

Alternatively a quick fix is often just to turn wi-fi on and off on the problem device.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely not splitting the SSIDs since it causes a multitude of other problems. Turning devices on and off is also not much of a solution. Should I call Telus support? There must be a better solution out there.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have only iPhones/iPads so I can't speak to the Macbook issues. My experience is the these devices don't always 'transition' well between 2.4 and 5 Ghz with the same SSID. The device will be connected to 5 Ghz with a very poor connection and struggles with the network when it should be switching to 2.4 Ghz. A quick toggle of wi-fi usually resolves the issue for me (no need to turn the device off). This was why I was suggesting having two SSID's to help troubleshoot. When you have problems you can easily see which band the device is currently operating on.

There may be some things to try here as well:

How to Fix iOS 14 & iPadOS 14 Wi-Fi Problems (osxdaily.com)

I have Wi-Fi Explorer on my MacBook. It gives very detailed information on all aspects of our Wi-Fi network and devices. What should I look for to diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't have a MacBook or Wi-Fi Explorer but according to their website:

"Click the Help tab in the menu bar and select WiFi Explorer Help. This handy guide includes both detailed background information to help you better understand your scans and easy-to-follow troubleshooting instructions to help you identify channel conflicts, overlapping or configuration issues."

If possible I would check what band the device is using when you are having issues.