cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Azure SMB File share drive mounting failure due to port 445 blockage

kukijack
Just Moved In

Hi,

I was trying to mount an Azure SMB file share drive on my windows 11 without success. It's most likely because port 445 is being blocked by Telus. Is there anyway to unblock it or any recommended work arounds? Any help and inputs are appreciated.

Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you are accessing file share within your own network, or if you are trying to connect to a remote file share using port 445, that won't be blocked.

If you are trying to access a file share on your network from outside of home and connecting to port 445, that is where the block would be.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you are accessing file share within your own network, or if you are trying to connect to a remote file share using port 445, that won't be blocked.

If you are trying to access a file share on your network from outside of home and connecting to port 445, that is where the block would be.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for the reply!

@Nighthawk second scenario is my case. Would using VPN services allow me to connect to the remote file share? or any other suggestions? 

Setup your router in your home:

If you are using ipv4, forward the port 445

If you are using ipv6, open firewall

But it will expose your SMB to Public network so think about security first.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunately incoming connections on port 445 will be blocked. He'd need to choose a different port number for the WAN and have it point to 445 on the LAN side.