cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home security Phishing scam?

Thunder_god30
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

My father has been receiving calls from someone claiming to be from Telus saying that he owes money for a home security system. They have left him a voice mail without stating what his name nor address is, and only mention an amount owing. We have never signed up for any home security systems before and have not been a Telus mobile customer for over 2 years now. Today he once again received a text message from someone named Lily from the payment dept for telus with poor punctuation. The number they texted him was "647-746-9664" and they mention that he owes Telus over 1k and in the text message the address that they state that the allegedly alarm system is at isn't even our address. They mention to call Telus at this number "1-855-958-8181". I would like to get to the bottom of this and have this resolved soon as it is taking up too much of my personal time. 

I am not sure if this is a phishing scam or if this is an issue with identify fraud with someone using my father's number to signup for home security services with Telus. 

I have tried to call Telus today numerous times but have not been successful and the virtual assistant is practically useless for getting in touch with Telus. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I just finally got in touch with telus customer service and they said that the # (1-855-255-8828) you gave is not found on their directory... Now I am confused. I got transferred to another department and then got transferred to another department that just hung up on me. This feels like such a huge waste of time. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

1-855-958-8181 is the correct contact number that is listed on the ADT/Telus Home Security web page.

Link to the Web Page is here -> Telus / ADT Home Security 

Nonetheless I would be somewhat cautious. The current contact number for Telus Home Security billing and sales is 1-855-255-8828 .

A link to that page is here -> Telus SmartHome Security contact information 

If you father has acquired his phone number fairly recently it could well be that Telus/ADT is chasing the former owner of the number.

No, he has had this number for a number of years now. 

So I just finally got in touch with telus customer service and they said that the # (1-855-255-8828) you gave is not found on their directory... Now I am confused. I got transferred to another department and then got transferred to another department that just hung up on me. This feels like such a huge waste of time. 

DId you call the 1-855-255-8828 number ?

No I ended up calling 1-888-612-1292. Apparently, someone is using my father's cellphone # to register for home security. The address they have on file isn't even our address. I tried to get the rep to tell me the customer's name but she said she needed approval from a manager first. They documented that our number was being used for identity theft purposes on their file and that after investigating the matter, the rep would call me sometime next week.