cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV/ Setup

James88
Neighbour
Hi All,

I need some help on how Telus sets up their optik tv and what connections are required.

I initially had internet and TV from Telus but I switched to cable internet now. The modem provided by Telus is using 2 phone cables plugged in it and a coax cable and it's sitting on my kitchen counter. My one tv in the living room is using a moca adapter for the pvr so it's using my coax jack there and my other tv upstairs is running a Wi-Fi optik box.

I need one of the two coax jacks that Telus is using right now.

My question is does my Telus modem require the coax connection or can I remove it and use that for my cable internet?

Can I remove the moca adapter in the living room tv that runs into the pvr and run a Telus Wi-Fi box there instead so I can use that coax jack for my cable modem?

Telus had offered a solution as to plug the pvr next to their modem in the kitchen which would free up my living room coax jack and then to use a Wi-Fi optik box there instead. Why does the pvr need to be plugged in next to the modem and why can't I just run 2 Wi-Fi boxes?

Also, if I were to plug the pvr next to the modem, then can I eliminate the coax connection and just run it with the Ethernet connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chicnstu
Leader

@James88 wrote:
My question is does my Telus modem require the coax connection or can I remove it and use that for my cable internet?

Can I remove the moca adapter in the living room tv that runs into the pvr and run a Telus Wi-Fi box there instead so I can use that coax jack for my cable modem?

Telus had offered a solution as to plug the pvr next to their modem in the kitchen which would free up my living room coax jack and then to use a Wi-Fi optik box there instead. Why does the pvr need to be plugged in next to the modem and why can't I just run 2 Wi-Fi boxes?

Also, if I were to plug the pvr next to the modem, then can I eliminate the coax connection and just run it with the Ethernet connection?

The modem requires the coax connection as it is connected to the moca adapter going in to the PVR. The PVR must remain hard wired straight to the modem in some way for the PVR function to work on the network.

You can put a wireless box in the PVR's current location if you can hard wire the PVR in a different location in the home. Plugging it in next to the modem works just fine. Just connect a cat5 cable to the PVR and plug it in to any of the yellow ports on the back of the modem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Chicnstu
Leader

@James88 wrote:

The modem requires the coax connection as it is connected to the moca adapter going in to the PVR. The PVR must remain hard wired straight to the modem in some way for the PVR function to work on the network.

You can put a wireless box in the PVR's current location if you can hard wire the PVR in a different location in the home. Plugging it in next to the modem works just fine. Just connect a cat5 cable to the PVR and plug it in to any of the yellow ports on the back of the modem.

Thank you so much for the reply! Clears a lot of questions up!

I was wondering if I use the cat5 cable to plug the pvr into the modem and run a Wi-Fi box in it's place then can't I eliminate both coax jacks that are currently being used (the one currently plugged into the modem and the one using the moca adapter?

Yes you can. If you're sure the PVR is the only Telus device using coax you can free up both jacks by connecting it to the modem via cat5 instead.

You have been super helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you thank you!!