Did you mean: 

Cloud PVR equipment

buckycat
Leader
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe it's a custom version of a Technicolor box.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus is not using Arris for the new set top box.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

What are they using?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe it's a custom version of a Technicolor box.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Correct - it's the Technicolor (now Vantiva) Jade set-top box.

It's not a stretch to estimate that how many legacy Optik set-top boxes/PVRs might be out there is in the millions. From the 2022 Q4 quarterly report: "TV subscriber base increased by 4.7 per cent to more than 1.3 million customers". Multiply that by the average numbers of TVs in a household... 

If your setup now is one pvr and one regular wireless box, will the new setup be two of the Technicolor boxes?

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

It's up to the individual on how they want to be set up. You could have 2 Sony TVs, 2 Apple TVs, 2 TELUS TV Digital Boxes etc. or any combination thereof. Certain functionality is only available on the set-top box (universal search across multiple apps, for example), but all recordings are cloud-based, so equipment can be optional. I believe 1 set-top box is included for most Optik TV combos, but it depends on your exact combo, whether you're on a service agreement, etc.  

Thanks for the info. it nice to see some Telus employees on here.

so in theory you don’t need any equipment from Telus except for internet.

So to confirm, as an existing customer when I do migrate to new Optik, can I just use my Apple TV (for viewing and cloud PVR) with the Telus TV+ app and forgo the Telus TV Digital box altogether?

By the sounds of it you get a new box with the package, but you don’t have to use it, and some features will be missing.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @vancouver-user @buckycat You are correct. Most Optik TV combos include one TELUS TV Digital Box rental if you're on a service agreement, but if you want to keep it in a closet and use Apple TVs and/or other supported devices, that's up to you. As noted, a few features won't be available on Apple TV - these include the Sports Zone and universal search that integrates TELUS results and streaming service results. Just don't recycle or get rid of it, as the box is TELUS property and you may be charged for it if you don't return it when you cancel your Optik TV services.

With the setup above Apple TV,Sony tv, would using those devices count against your internet usage when using TV+?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I would expect that TV streams to your home IP address would be zero-rated. if you take these devices to a different location, then you would be billed for internet usage if your account is not unlimited.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Maybe this is the reason Telus internet is required for the new boxes.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some information here:

New Digital TV Box & Cloud PVR - Optik TV Hardware | TELUS

I believe it's the same box that recent Pik TV customers are using:

Telus Pik TV Media Box (V2) - Android TV Guide (androidtv-guide.com)

Differences in services will be implemented in software.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

thought Telus would be using the same equipment as Bell. If it’s the same box as for Pik tv there shouldn’t be supply issues.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Considering how many Optik boxes are out there in use currently, they'll likely need a few milion of the new boxes. That sheer number will take time to get out.

A few million. Does Telus actually have three million Optik boxes out there?

There’s no telecom in western Canada that offers unlimited hours of recordings with 1-yr expiry like videotron afaik and Bell probably has already got a fierce competition in Greater Montreal cause Videotron is everywhere and has a stronger French focus, so they can’t cut back any existing iconic feature like the 1-yr expiry, the 320hr limit and 1.5hr buffer.

Thanks @FuzzyLogic for the link.