cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone User and Phone Plan - $0.01 Charges listed as 'data usage'

chamomile
Neighbour

I'm currently on the Talk and Text 15 plan, and added $100 to my account. $15 was taken for the first month, sure. Now I'm receiving these charges listed as data usage on my transaction list, and I'm afraid I'm eventually going to forget and end up without any balance left! I know that'd take a **bleep** while but it's still frustrating. I have an iPhone 6+, and my plan includes 100 minutes (which i have not used) and unlimited texts. Sometimes a text will not send and it gives me the option to 'try as text message', which sends in green. Could these few oopsies be the cause of these stupid charges? I found a link to someone with the same problem as me (from 2020) so I'd like to make my own post about this. I don't know the difference between SMS and MMS, and I was afraid I might've accidentally hit the cellular data button but I don't think it does anything because I do not have a cellular data plan. I made sure it was 100% turned off from this point as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If your text message bubbles are blue, you are using data (either cellular or Wi-Fi) to send them. Make sure cellular data is turned off on your phone. If the data continues to be consumed, you may need to contact Telus directly to request a full data block on your account.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If your text message bubbles are blue, you are using data (either cellular or Wi-Fi) to send them. Make sure cellular data is turned off on your phone. If the data continues to be consumed, you may need to contact Telus directly to request a full data block on your account.

NFtoBC

chamomile
Neighbour

How is it possible to use cellular data if I don't have it? Thank you for clarifying, how stupid. If I request a data block, will I still be able to send texts, even if I'm out and about? I assumed that all I need is cell service (bars) to send texts or make phone calls.

Thanks again, calling them right now

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cellular data is considered ’Pay per Use’ on Talk and Text plans. I’m happy to learn you have it sorted.

NFtoBC

chamomile
Neighbour
Called, got the data block, no charges since. TYVM. I also made sure that the ‘Cellular Assist’/‘Wifi Assist’ was shut off, which seemed to be the culprit according to Tech support.

The fact that data was used for text messages is a function of your iPhone (iMessage). It has nothing to do with Telus.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

Any plan that doesn't include data doesn't mean that data is turned off. It just means you are charged separately for data. I've heard reports that turning off Cellular Assist doesn't always work as iMessage sometimes ignores it. Turning data block on at Telus is the better option.