cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Scam Call, offering $40 for 50GB

IESA
Just Moved In
Just got a call from a “Telus representative” from 1 (866) 558 2273 who told me he could get me 50 GB for $40 a month.

I would be shipped a SIM card in one week, and all he needed was a $50 deposit until it came through.

He spoke very broken English, and I could hear multiple people in the background offering similar deals. Just wanted to post this as a heads up. Nothing seemed right about any of it.

He didn’t know what a port was, or what the connection charge would be, and when I asked his employee number, he gave me a bell employee number. (I know this cause I work for them lol)

I worry about people who aren’t in the industry, who might just hand over all their personal info for this “deal “

😞
3 REPLIES 3

jobrien
Advocate

Fonus Mobile can get you the same thing for $30.00 so Telus could do it if they really wanted to. Having said that...it probably was a low level Bell Reseller who called you at best, or an Indian scam caller at worst. Just to let you know you don't have to pay a fee to start service if you buy online. Account upgrades are always free, on business and home connection lines. I don't agree with Telus reseller policies paying commission on any employee off the street taking money when the official service doesn't charge anything. Like if you visit a physical retailer for instance. Only Bell and Telus will do this, Rogers doesn't. Case in point, the reason I am with Telus, is priority access to 5g speeds. But like I said, Fonus Mobile is better if you are a heavy data user. You can't beat the price.

seanjo75
Just Moved In

I had the same thing happen to me today, broken English and multiple people in the background, but they were offering 40% off of my home services. He said if pay $30 Telus will be at my house in 5 business days with new tv boxes and wifi boosters, and i'd get a bill credit. The part that threw me off is that the (866) 558 2273 IS a Telus phone number and it showed up on call display. What triggered my suspicion was when the guy didn't know what i paid monthly.....and then he asked for my address. That was the deal breaker so i hung up. I called Telus and they had no record of anyone calling me. The guy called me back an hour later. When i told him i had spoken to Telus he hung up.

No idea how they can have their number show up as the Telus number but they almost got me because of that.

Definitely sounds like number spoofing! A common tactic used for phishing/fraudulent calls. There is some guidelines at https://bit.ly/2XZjjfp with what to do when you get calls like that. You can also forward the details of the call to [email protected]