Will this phone work with Telus?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Greetings,

I'm trying to find out if this phone will work with Telus prepaid:

http://www.staples.ca/en/LG-B220A-1-45-Dual-SIM-Unlocked-Cell-Phone-Black/product_2732698_1-CA_1_200...

If the link is broken, you can click here.

The LG B220A is a 2G GSM Quad-Band phone. Will this work with Telus?

Thanks,

Shane.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus never installed a 2G network, though Rogers did. I believe Rogers has shuttered their 2G network, as have most carriers in the USA.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Ambassador

Thanks for the link. It is really helpful.

The reason I asked here instead of contacting Telus is that I was wanting to understand the reason that a phone may or may not work on Telus.

Does anyone know of a carrier that supports 2G GSM?

Thanks,

Shane.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

GSM is painful to use. It is a decades old network that I'm not sure how well Rogers is maintaining. I have a nice quad band GSM phone that I was using on Fido pre-paid for a while and didn't have good results. Texting was ok but indoors the signal strength barely registered in most places I went. If using GSM do not plan to use data. It is extremely slow.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

It's not for myself. Someone is coming to Canada for three months, and I want to give them a phone to use. I've already looked at Telus pre-paid, but it's expensive.

I just noticed this phone because it was $35.

Shane.

Highlighted
Rockstar

Check out Kijiji, EB Games, or some other places that sell used or refurbished devices.  If you live in the Greater Toronto Area, Pacific Mall is a great place to find some good deals on phones.  You probably won't find something as cheap as $35 but for about $100, you might be able to get a Nexus 5 or something like that which will work out a lot better on most networks.