WiFi Calling isn't working on my brand new Samsung Galaxy S8+ which was purchased from Telus.

Highlighted
BasesLoadedWalk
Advocate

Hello, I just joined TELUS mobility and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I got the phone because it has WiFi Calling, and I work in an area with poor cell signal (big concrete building). I have not been able to set this phone up to work with WiFi, and can't seem to find the setting to turn it on in the phone. I went online to my account, and it says I do have VoLTE and VoWiFi activated on my account. What are the steps I need to do to have this set up correctly?

Community Power User
Community Power User

I've found with the iPhone and wifi calling it really depends what network you are on. If you're on your home wifi network, it should usually work. A more public one or a work one where there may be restrictions on what can be used on it, or a firewall, it usually won't work.

As for settings, open the Phone app. In the top right corner you should see a ". . ." menu. Hit that and choose Settings. If you scroll down in that menu you should see wifi calling if it's in there and available to that device. I don't see it on my S7.

That being said, it may not still work based on the Telus Wifi Calling FAQ. Only iPhones are listed there currently. 

@ScottyJ - Any news if Andoid devices will be included for wifi calling?

BasesLoadedWalk
Advocate

Thank you for trying to help, but I don't see any reference to a WiFi calling setting anywhere in the Phone App settings. Also, I have tried to use this phone on my home WiFi to test it out.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @BasesLoadedWalk

We hear you. WiFi calling isn't fully available yet, though we're working on it! Once it's ready for full deployment, we'll definitely let you know. Stay tuned! 

BasesLoadedWalk
Advocate

Thank you for the update dru

BasesLoadedWalk
Advocate

So is there any update from Telus as to when us non-iPhone users can make use of Wi-Fi calling? Other carriers are offering it, and we all don't wish to buy into the half-eaten fruit brand.

Community Power User
Community Power User
As stated by @dru it was being worked on in June. They're probably closer to having something available to the masses soon.

Fisher_Guy
Resident
Any update? Crazy it takes this long for it to come out, my galaxy s7 had WiFi calling
BasesLoadedWalk
Advocate
Telus just doesn't care about it's Android users. Compared to Apple, Telus considers us 2nd class I guess.
JT8
Connector

I feel this subject is worth bringing up again as it could really help a lot of customers that live in an area with poor coverage. They were working on it in the summer. It's now fall and it'll be winter soon. The least they could do is give us an update that's not a season (maybe use the standard measurement of months??)

BasesLoadedWalk
Advocate

The bottom line is Telus really doesn't care about it's Android users, and if they had their way, they would sooner rather see their Android users leave for another network. Telus views Apple as the only phone that matters, and views Android users as low class leaches. If Telus could, they would Blacklist all Android phones.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@BasesLoadedWalk

Or maybe Apple provides incentives to carriers to support leading technologies on Apple devices, and Android manufacturers do not.  There could be many reasons why one product line is supported first. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
BasesLoadedWalk
Advocate

Nope, Telus will soon be kicking it's Android users off the network. 100% sure of that. Telus hates it's Android Subscribes and wants to get rid of them any way possible. Telus won't be happy until they have a 100% Apple subscriber base.

Community Power User
Community Power User
Those are some strong allegations and totally false. Maybe there is a blackberry conspiracy as well then. Just because wifi calling isn’t available you’re reaching pretty far.

The iPhone has wifi calling. But I don’t even use it, even if I’m in a fringe area. While it does work in poor reception areas. The few times I used it, sound quality was a bit off. Android users will get it at some point as previously stated by @dru
TwitchyPuppy
Coach

BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

Nope, Telus will soon be kicking it's Android users off the network. 100% sure of that. Telus hates it's Android Subscribes and wants to get rid of them any way possible. Telus won't be happy until they have a 100% Apple subscriber base.

Why don't you just leave for anothe carrier, then?
I mean, if Telus are THAT awful..

TwitchyPuppy
Coach

WestCoasterBC wrote:
Those are some strong allegations and totally false. Maybe there is a blackberry conspiracy as well then. Just because wifi calling isn’t available you’re reaching pretty far.

The iPhone has wifi calling. But I don’t even use it, even if I’m in a fringe area. While it does work in poor reception areas. The few times I used it, sound quality was a bit off. Android users will get it at some point as previously stated by @dru

I don't get that though. Same technology, same network. Where's the problem? If the Android phone supports it, I can't see why..

Community Power User
Community Power User

TwitchyPuppy wrote:
I don't get that though. Same technology, same network. Where's the problem? If the Android phone supports it, I can't see why..

Same network, same name, not necessarily the same technology nor implementation.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
TwitchyPuppy
Coach

NFtoBC wrote:

TwitchyPuppy wrote:

Same network, same name, not necessarily the same technology nor implementation.

Why would the technology or implementation would be different? Wi-Fi Calling on iOS or Wi-Fi Calling on Android is still Wi-Fi Calling and it works the same way.

Hi Folks, Android Wi-Fi calling is definitely coming soon. Clear dates will be announced as soon as they are available! This is something that we are working hard to roll out as quickly as possible, so please be rest assured that it will happen in the near future. 

TwitchyPuppy
Coach
This is regarding Android, though.