Telus free wifi #TELUSDirect

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

SC
Connector

I have been using #TELUSDirect for quite some time; however, for the last few weeks, I could not find it.  Only #TELUS shows up.  In the past, both #TELUS  and #TELUSDirect showed up together.  Now only #TELUS shows up.  I have contacted Telus support, both Telus Mobility and Telus Internet support do not know.  Seems nobody within Telus knows who runs the free WIFI hot spot. Anyone has any ideas about why #TELUSDirect is not showing up?

Lola
Rockstar

What phone do you have? In my house, we have Samsung S3, S4, and S7. On the S3 and 4 I see TelusDirect on the WiFi list, even though I'm out of range. On my S7 I don't see either Telus or TelusDirect, but at the top of my WiFi screen is a WiFi Direct button. It's on the other phones as well, but in a different place.

SC
Connector
  • I use iPhone 6.  When I was in a Telus WIFI hot spot, I used to see both #TELUS and #TELUSDirect together.  Now, when I am in a Telus WIFI hot spot, e.g. Coast Capital Saving Credit Union, I only see the  #TELUS SSID. 
MTAS
Just Moved In

Hi SC - Thank you for your inquiry.

As of April, TELUS has chosen to remove the #TELUSDirect based on direct feedback received from customers.  New users frequently complain that their confusion about whether to connect to #TELUS or #TELUSDirect for Wi-Fi service.  Also, a number of users have asked to not automatically be connected to #TELUSDirect network in all areas as they prefer the performance of the TELUS LTE network.

Given that #TELUS is open to all users,TELUS now recommends that all users who wish to use our Public WiFi service to 1) register and use TELUS Public WiFi using the #TELUS network and 2) to set the automatic connection to this network as desired from their devices.

We believe that these changes will simplify and streamline access to the TELUS Public Wi-Fi service while providing users with greater control over their connectivity options.

rc
Leader

I guess you cannot please everyone. I would like TELUS to restore the #Telusdirect service as it offers better security than #TELUS which is an open network.

SC
Connector

Hello MTAS,  Thank you for your reply.  It clears up the situation.

The Telus WIFI hot spot, in my mind, is more of a marketing tool than a community service, particularly now Telus competes with Shaw on TV, Internet and Cell phone service (Shaw/Wind acquisition).

Telus could implement the #TELUSDirect the same way as TELUS Extend.  Users who want to automatically connect to #TELUSDirect can download an APP which installs the EAP-SIM profile.  Users who do not download the APP will not be automatically connected.  As opposed to the previous implementation where the EAP-SIM profile is pushed to every compatible phone and thus those phone would automatically connect to #TELUSDirect, regardless of the users' wishes.

If the EAP-SIM authentication is too costly to implement everywhere, at least Telus could setup WIFI hot spot like Shaw does now, in that Telus subscribers login with Telus account once only and the general public will have to register every 30 days.

Lola
Rockstar

As of Feb 1, TelusDirect was still a viable way to connect to the Telus free wifi (link below), if it shows on your WiFi list. It's also very simple to disable. As I said above, on my S7, TelusDirect does not show, as Telus has removed it from newer model phones; instead the S7 has a Wifi Direct button, but TelusDirect does show on my older models, and is still usable.

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/telus-wifi-public-hotspots

rc
Leader

a simple solution to this issue, "Also, a number of users have asked to not automatically be connected to #TELUSDirect network in all areas as they prefer the performance of the TELUS LTE network".  for these users is to delete #telusdirect from their saved network settings.

Based on my experiences with  #telus and #telusdirect, I suspect the main reason for the change is  the differences in reliability between the wifi conection and the  cellular connection. I've noticed that my phone connects to the Telus wifi signal but occasionaly  cannot connect to the internet.  The phone indicates that a wifi connection is established, ip addressed assigned, but a connection to the internet does not exist.

Another reason could be that Telus wants get rid of the auto-connect to wifi feature as  it will have issues with voice over LTE.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@rc wrote:

a simple solution to this issue, "Also, a number of users have asked to not automatically be connected to #TELUSDirect network in all areas as they prefer the performance of the TELUS LTE network".  for these users is to delete #telusdirect from their saved network settings.

Problem was, the #TELUSDirect does not appear in the saved network settings and could not be deleted. For those folks walking through an area with a number of TELUSDirect sites available to them, their phones would switch back & forth between WI-Fi and LTE not maintaining a constant connection. While it is a benefit once you have settled, it is a problem while moving.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
rc
Leader

In reply to NFtoBC, on my android phone #telusdirect  can be deleted. I did it by mistake and it took me a while to figure out how to add it back in.  I people did not like bouncing between wifi and lte they could have turned off wifi.