Student Plans

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Why are there no plans or options for students? We already have financial issues and on top of it all we also have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a tiny amount of data, which you can easily go over. I just think there should be some help for us students that have rent, books, courses and groceries to pay for, on top of everything else. Why are there no student plans? 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Students should get a break. So should:

Young families trying to make ends meet.

Single parents

Folks slaving away at less than a living wage

Seniors on a pension

Unemployed job seekers

Volunteers

and finally, (and most important of all) me. /s

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Ambassador

Hi there, when I was at college, we didn't have cell phone devices so I don't believe having a major plan should be the main concerns for students. The young generation is using a lots mobile data and this is the most demanding service on a mobile network, which is why data is expensive. Good for you if they come out with a plan but the mobile devices won't be any cheaper since the manufacturer's don't have credits for student. You should try asking for a better plan, but a regular one, not a student plan. Good luck!

Highlighted
Ambassador

As NFtoBC said, all you do is open yourself up to other groups wanting more for less. Particularly at a company that tries to treat customers equally, offering promotion to only one segment of the market just pisses off everyone else when they can't also get the deal so eventually everyone gets it. That's a lose lose for Telus, customers angry they weren't offered the promotion to begin with and also spending less each month.

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Knav11: I totally agree with the last commenters <Telus.com> should offer a special plans for Students. They did in the past, but not now. One of the reasons, could be like Wally_west.. Pointed out, Students spent more Airtime & Data--that's a fact. Consequently Telus get huge profits from them, affecting the pocket's parents, who pay the bills. 

Is viewed as a non-sense and 'tsizzle' put the finger in the  pain, how come Telus it helps, with donations to communities and support other groups, but not to Students is totally unfair. As a comparison, most of Transit provinces, got special discounts for them, why not in mobile services. Hope they change their mind soon. Greetings from <v9>

Do you like this post - Give the author a kudos

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Highlighted
Ambassador

Not sure who you're referring to v9 but every person other than the OP has basically said they don't & provided reasons why it makes sense. 

Would suggest you go look at their Q3 earning statement to see the 'huge profits' you're talking about, you might be surprised to learn that have a net profit of only 12% ($355M out of $3,208M operating revenues). Compare that to Apple's 21% net income vs. operating revenues.

Can you share the facts around this also please: "Students spent more Airtime & Data--that's a fact."

You probably mean people under 35 vs. people over 35 but I'd love to hear more if you have something to prove your claim.

Highlighted
Guardian

Let's turn the question around and see what happens.

Who doesn't deserve a discounted plan?

By singling out a group as being deserving of a discount you imply other groups do not deserve a discount. As NFtoBC indicated in his post there's a long list of groups that deserve a break, not just students. By the time we are done with the list TELUS might as well just have discounted plans for everyone.

But then, it wouldn't be a discount if everyone got it, it would just be the regular plan. Groups would then ask for an additional discount on top of that. Where does it end?

Highlighted
Rockstar

Thanks-tsizzle for posting back: 1) I wrote is viewed as a non-sense. I'm referring to the fact that -Telus doesn't offer a special plans for Students, which affect parents, when they pay their phone bills.

2) Re: To the profits. I said "Huge profits" I might use the wrong word 'Huge' without knowing exactly the percentages. But you cited accurate figures, that coincide with latest news. ($355M-profits out of $3,208M of operating revenues). Not bad at all dwo.

3) It's well known that students-use a lot Airtime and Data, calling, texting, playing games, videos,.etc. That "Could be" one of the reasons, why some of the telecoms don't offer, openly discounts plans for them. On top of that to sign contracts, they've to be over 18 yrs old as far as I know. Hope these explanations-respond to your concerns. Stay Connected <v9>

Latest UPDATE in this thread. Thks Xray your approaching is right on target. We all deserve discount mobile plans. 

@tsiszzle: Last reply. Listen I'm not implying that 'cause 'Students' expend more (Airtime-Data) should pay less, what I said it's that "Could be" one the reasons, why telcos don't offer special plans to them. We're in a forum trying to addressed the member question. Let's leave the OP(Original poster) to decide, which member, better respond at his question. Bye <v9>

To-Knav11: PS report back to forum. You received different opinions, about your issue. But I tell you what- Your best bet is contact a Telus-Agent. They're better qualified to comfirm if there's a plan to address this concern. Bye(v9)

How's life @Nf2BC: Thx for re-joining the conversation. Your driving car comparison-Add more info to understand this point.

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Highlighted
Ambassador

1) I wrote is viewed as a non-sense.

What does this mean? 

3) It's well known that students-use a lot Airtime and Data, calling, texting, playing games, videos,.etc. That "Could be" one of the reasons, why some of the telecoms don't offer, openly discounts plans for them. On top of that to sign contracts, they've to be over 18 yrs old as far as I know. Hope these explanations-respond to your concerns. Stay Connected <v9>

I'm not sure I follow your logic, students use more data & airtime so should pay less? Do you believe everyone should pay the same amount for cellphone service regardless of their usage? E.g. I'm not a student and I use 2GB, person B is a student and uses 6GB, we both pay $70? 

Let's use the car market as a parallel: I drive a honda civic as a non-student (parallel: average Android phone) and you drive a Hummer (iPhone), we should both pay the same amount when filling up for gas regardless of the fact that we drive different cars (different phones use data differently) and need different amounts? 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@tsizzle wrote:

Let's use the car market as a parallel: I drive a honda civic as a non-student (parallel: average Android phone) and you drive a Hummer (iPhone), we should both pay the same amount when filling up for gas regardless of the fact that we drive different cars (different phones use data differently) and need different amounts? 

@tsizzle 

A better example might be:

You drive a Honda, and I drive a Lexus. You have a 50km commute, and I have one of those live-work situations, where my workplace is steps from my home. Should we pay the same fuel bill?  Likely not.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"