cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old & New Network in Sundre, Alberta Area

brianallan
Neighbour

You've been upgrading mobility service in the Sundre area for almost forever.  As a result neither our old nor new cell phones have consistent service.  We acquired a new cell over three months ago in an attempt to resolve the problem...  It will probably need replacing before good service is available :(.

WHEN WILL THIS WORK BE COMPLETE!?

It is causing us, both personal and business, considerable distress.

bwa

14 REPLIES 14

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well when I called to complain about the tower in my area two days ago, I was told that even though it's the only tower in my area, and hasn't been upgraded in a long time, that Telus would need minimum ten complaints to push the tower up the list to get attention much sooner. If that applies in Sundre also, if you know other Telus users, get as many to complain about that tower and you may get better results.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Good suggestion.  It isn't the fact service hasn't been updated for a long time.  It is the length of time it is taking Telus to change over from their old to new system making both of them flaky!  The old network worked perfectly until they started dinking around with it about several months ago!

bwa

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The support guy I was talking to said the federal regulations changed relatively recently that makes it much harder to get permission to do the upgrades. If what I was told is accurate, first the federal government / CRTC has to sign off on it, then the provincial and lastly municipal. Depending on the municipality they may have to contact the residents in the area of the tower and get their support before anything can be done too. I think that last one might be for installing brand new towers rather than upgrading existing ones but the support guy wasn't sure if it applied to one or both.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Growing pains I guess. Are these issues with reception in general? And are they taking place everywhere in Sundre? Like Nighthawk mentioned, definitely get as many people reporting/calling it in, so that it gets prioritized. 

Not a problem in Sundre.  We live on the Misty Valley Ranch SW of Sundre.  Had good Telus coverage until the summer then it went downhill badly!  As for getting a whole bunch of people together, it is a little hard when our neighbors all have phone lines wired in.  We couldn't afford the underground cable cost...  We get good reception on both the old and new networks if we drive to the top of the ridge which has a clear view of Sundre.

I understand, did you try a signal booster? Also was a ticket logged for your issue?

I contacted Telus support and was told I had to phone network support and was given a phone #.  I tried contacting them but the day I tried both my old and new network phones wouldn't work!  I haven't tried since...

Some day Telus might get moved fully to their new network and we'll have reliable phone service again!?  Some days the new works.  Some days the old works.  I normally have at least one partially operational.  Just annoying!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Really? When I called, the tech support person submitted the complaint for me. I heard back from the network guys the following day and I have a Telus Mobility tech coming out next week to chat and test signal strength in the area here.

Nighthawk,

You might have missed the point.  I contacted tech support via e-mail and they gave me a phone # to call to get my phone service, which is not working, looked into.  At the time neither my old nor new network phone had a signal...  I'm sure they'll eventually get the new network fully operational.

I just checked.  Both my phones are showing no bars and neither works!

LDBS
Just Moved In

We understand your frustration.  Many residents of Bergen Springs have terrible to non-existent service and have been registering complaints hoping service will be corrected.  Poor service led to issues with a medical emergency call over a year ago- unacceptable!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bergen Springs? The nearest cell tower is off Twp Rd 324 and about a mile east of Range Rd 52. Roughly 10KM away. Depending on topography / line of sight, and whether you're trying LTE or 3G, there can be issues with that distance. Also the type of phone you have can also make a difference as some have better reception than others.

brianallan
Neighbour

@LDBS, You're even closer to cell towers in Bergen Springs... and you have cell problems!?  Not saying much for Telus service.

Since I could not get resolution from Telus for our problem, I recently picked up an iPhone from Bell.  Bell apparently uses Telus and Rogers towers in our area and I get a much a better signal on my Bell phone than I do using a Telus phone on either the old or new networks?  Strange?  We will probably be dropping Telus service in the not distant future as we did with Rogers when we moved out of Calgary.

Really quite depressing in this day in age when you can't get good cell service... and from one of the largest cell providers in Canada 😞  And yes, I would not like to rely on Telus in the event of a medical emergency, sadly!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@brianallan

To my knowledge, Bell does not use Telus' towers to host their own equipment, but rather use Telus' network (i.e. same radios, same infrastructure,etc), so I am curious to learn if the difference in reception is due to the phone you are using, or the network.

If you ever have the chance to swap between Telus and Bell SIM cards, it would be interesting to see what happens!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Where is there any cell tower near Bergen? I can't find any record of one existing anywhere near there. Only the Telus/Rogers/Bell ones close to Sundre.