cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Near Border Issues

drewhosick
Connector

I live on the St. Lawrence Seaway.  Right across from me is the United States.  In the past I'd set my phone to only use Telus Network under Network operators.  The problem(at least from my understanding) is that it limits the towers I can be on right?  Since there's infrastructure sharing that goes in within Canada I would think?  Anyways, I know there's a roaming option you can make sure is turned off but does that mean you'll never use data or minutes from another service?  I know I've had family members say their phone got a text saying Welcome to the USA.  Is there a way to limit connection to only Canadian towers even for incoming calls?  The nice thing I have is that if I cross over the border and go into town there, I can stay connected to only Telus and still get service close to the border, I'd like to keep that functionality but I find that sometimes the signal is iffy on the Highway that follows the water.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't have a Note5, but on my S6 Edge.... this is what I would be looking at....

1. down swipe
  2. Settings (gear at upper right)
  3. Mobile networks
  4. Make sure "Data Roaming" is disabled
  5. Network operators
  6. check around here if there is a way to disable automatic networks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my knowledge, Telus uses the extended network you reference only in Manitoba. Elsewhere in Canada, choosing the option to connect only to Telus towers, would meet your goal. The option to limit data roaming would only affect data, not voice or texts (or 1x / EVDO data, it seems), so you might be billed for such use while in Canada.

I suggest setting your phone to using only Telus as your carrier would meet your goal, until you travel off Highway 1 in Manitoba.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@drewhosick:  What is the make and model of your phone?  On my Blackberry, I can choose manual carrier selection and disable roaming.  This helps greatly when I'm driving near the USA on a hill.

It's a Note 5.

I don't have a Note5, but on my S6 Edge.... this is what I would be looking at....

1. down swipe
  2. Settings (gear at upper right)
  3. Mobile networks
  4. Make sure "Data Roaming" is disabled
  5. Network operators
  6. check around here if there is a way to disable automatic networks.

That's what I've done already. I'll leave it as is. Thanks