cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone will not connect to #TELUSDirect, are pay as you go customers excluded?

thelastdisciple
Just Moved In

I have a Samsung Galaxy Discover SGH S730M, i can see the #TELUSDirect server show up when I'm out but it always fails to authenticate when i select it. My Father and my Mother both have the Motorola Moto G X1032 and they are also on Telus pay as you go, they can't get it to work either. 

The Telus website says it's supposed to automatically connect but all 3 of ours sure don't. My Dad took his phone in to a Telus store and the person he was speaking to clearly didn't know much, they didn't even know they had a Shaw Go equivalent and actually thought my Dad was full of it. They also got on their "well i work for Telus and i would know" high horse... anyways after a lot of wasted time we didn't get any concrete or elaborate answers, just a bunch of shoulder shrugging basically.

Any actual information would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MTAS
Just Moved In

All TELUS phones should be able to connect to #TELUSDirect.  However, there are a couple of reasons why this may not happen on your phones:

1)  Your phone may not have been purchased from TELUS, in which case the #TELUSDirect functionality would not be programmed into it.

2)  Your phone may not support it as older phones may not support the required EAP-SIM WiFi functionality.

Here is how you can add #TELUSDirect to your phone manually (if your phone actually supports the required WiFi technology).

1) Manually create a WiFi Network - on Android, you'll see a "+ Add Wi-Fi Network" at the bottom of your scanned WiFi networks.

2) When you are asked for the Network Name or SSID, type:  "#TELUSDirect"

3) You should see a drop-down box for Security.  Use "802.1x EAP".  If you don't see this option your phone can't support #TELUSDirect.

4) For the EAP Method - Select SIM.  Again, if you don't see this option your phone can't support #TELUSDirect.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

See this link 

From that document: "TELUS Wi-Fi allows select TELUS Mobility subscribers to seamlessly connect to TELUS Wi-Fi when in range. "

So it is possible that although many Telus phones are provisioned with the link to #TelusDirect, it may well be that post paid customers currently can connect seamlessly, and pre-paid customers need to register. Try the alternate option as described in the above link next time you are in a service location, and share what you learn.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

MTAS
Just Moved In

All TELUS phones should be able to connect to #TELUSDirect.  However, there are a couple of reasons why this may not happen on your phones:

1)  Your phone may not have been purchased from TELUS, in which case the #TELUSDirect functionality would not be programmed into it.

2)  Your phone may not support it as older phones may not support the required EAP-SIM WiFi functionality.

Here is how you can add #TELUSDirect to your phone manually (if your phone actually supports the required WiFi technology).

1) Manually create a WiFi Network - on Android, you'll see a "+ Add Wi-Fi Network" at the bottom of your scanned WiFi networks.

2) When you are asked for the Network Name or SSID, type:  "#TELUSDirect"

3) You should see a drop-down box for Security.  Use "802.1x EAP".  If you don't see this option your phone can't support #TELUSDirect.

4) For the EAP Method - Select SIM.  Again, if you don't see this option your phone can't support #TELUSDirect.

thelastdisciple
Just Moved In

Well my phone does not have the SIM EAP method so i guess that's the end of that but my folks have that functionality with their phones since they're a bit newer so I'll have to see what the experience will be with them the next time they're in proximity.

Would have been nice if TELUS who specializes in mobile phones was able to tell me this. Ridiculous.

Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: I went and used my Mom's phone to test this out and it worked! 

Thank you so much!