IMessage/ SMS

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident
Why is it that IMessage through pay as you doesn't work unless connected to wifi.. Technically isn't a iMessage a text, so shouldn't that be covered, I realize you must be connect to a cellular network data but if I'm texting someone via SMS aren't I already on on a network? Why can't iMessage be included?
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

SMS does not use the data stream, but piggybacks on the voice network. Messages (iMessage) is a completely different technology, uses the data side of the phone, and needs a data connection, either cellular or Wi-Fi to work. So technically, although Messages you send might look like a text, they are not an SMS, and aren't included in an SMS plan. You can turn off Messages on your phone, and all your messages will be sent by SMS, or you can add a data package to your prepaid package, starting at $10/month.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

The $0 data block on prepaid will block the imessages as well so if that's on your account you would have to remove it on telus.com or by calling in. The $2 data block offered in monthly postpaid accounts allows some data so that you can still picture message and potentially imessage but, i'm not sure how much imessaging would work on it. 

Mobility Client Care Rep
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Mobility_Princess

As you state, the $2 data block for postpaid clients allows picture messages to be transferred, however, it does block all other data, including Messages on iPhone.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"