Customer Incentives

arch1911
Resident
Why doesn't Telus offer customers any kind of incentive? I've been with Telus for 10 years and they have given less and less of an incentive and now I'm due for an upgrade. Haven't gotten any kind of offer and I'm close to changing companies for cheaper services....
Lola
Rockstar

I get offers by email occasionally. Last week I got an offer to add another phone (BYOD ) to my account for 35.00 a month. Something like that. I didn't give it much of a read because I'm not interested.

I'm preparing to renew my contract too, though I don't want to, my S7 is perfect (and I despise edge phones and hate everything else right now), Cat LOL I have to renew in order to keep my old plan viable. I'll probably order an S8 and never unbox it. Lol.

Hey, does anybody know if I can renew with the same type phone I already have. Can I just contract another S7? I could give it to my husband as a travel camera, and then I'd have a spare.

Syaoran
Ambassador

Telus and just about every other provider only care about new customers and not the current ones.  After all, most current customers are stuck in a contract of some sort.  What is it you would actually like for some sort of incentive, if you don't mind me asking?  If you are looking for a discount on hardware, those are very rare outside of what is already on the website for everyone renewing.  Carriers complain that they don't make any money off of the hardware, which is utter crap, but they will beat that excuse like a dead horse as long as people keep renewing for over-priced devices.  

Where you might find a deal is on your service.  Depending on the plan you currently have and the features you need.  The majority of the money on the service itself is profit.  Don't expect loyalty to offer you the 10GB plan for $60 but again, depending on your service, they could potentially offer you something considered decent for around $80 a month added after you get your upgrade to circumvent the minimum monthly gouging to get the phone you want.  

gcerullo
Connector

If you want deals/Incentives you have to be in a position of power. To do that you need to own the phone and not allow yourself to be locked into a contract where you are paying for a phone over two years and the carrier has no incentive to do anything for you.

When you own the phone outright you have the power to move to any carrier you want or, more importantly, you have the bargaining power to negotiate a better deal on a mobile plan from your existing carrier.

Just last month this was demonstrated by the $60/10 GB BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) deal. One carrier proposed a $60/5 GB + 5 GB for 24 months deal for BYOD customers. Immediately every other carrier one-upped that deal to $60/10 GB with no time limits. This deal brought every carriers customer service phone system down to its knees by people scrambling to take advantage of it.

If you want deals/incentives own your device so you have the power.

Lola
Rockstar

gcerullo wrote:

When you own the phone outright you have the power to move to any carrier you want or, more importantly, you have the bargaining power to negotiate a better deal on a mobile plan from your existing carrier.

Carriers don't bargain, they con, whether contract or owned, Canadians are conned, and happy to be. The 10-60 will see data throttled, I'm sure, whether stated or not, like unlimited plans in the US throttle data. For instance, with T-mobile it's 40USD (50CAD) for all unlimited, but reduced speeds after 50gb. You have no power, ever.

I have an old plan so I'm paying a good price for what I want, considering I don't need or want data. I don't except to be able to keep it much longer though.  I'm thinking I won't renew this time. I just really hate every phone out there. Cat LOL

arch1911
Resident
I know it's all about making the most money for these carriers, but before like 2007-10 when my first contract ended with Telus I remember getting a $150 incentive to resign with Telus. I understand those days are as dead as the if you wait longer than 5 minutes or something for customer service they would credit your bill. These companies would become powerhouses if they brought that stuff back.... I was just venting last night cause this crap is getting ridiculous
Syaoran
Ambassador

But they already are powerhouse companies.  We don't exactly have much for choice here in Canada.  Thanks to the constant payoffs tot he CRTC to keep competition out, prices go up, customer service goes down, and your choices are essentially the same regardless of what name the company/parent company goes by.