cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-US Plan - Recent T-Mobile Data Breach

mapleman55
Just Moved In

Hello,

I have the Telus Canada-US plan, and I noticed that my current provider on my phone says "T-Mobile".

I was wondering, with the recent T-Mobile Data Breach in January 2023, would there be a chance that my information has been leaked?

I am assuming that T-Mobile does not store any Telus' customer data? I just want to be certain.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is largely accurate. In simple terms, your SIM card identifies you through your international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI). It's a string of digits that we know belongs to you, and identifies to them which carrier is accessing their network, and whether the user (you) may use it. They have no access to your personal info. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

xray
Hero

If you don't have an account with T-Mobile, they don't have any of your personal information. When you connect to T-Mobile, your phone number/SIM card identifies you and that's how T-Mobile knows you're with TELUS. Call billing information is exchanged between T-Mobile and TELUS, but account information is not. It's similar to making a purchase at a store with a credit card. The store does not have access to your credit card account information beyond the information on the card itself.

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is largely accurate. In simple terms, your SIM card identifies you through your international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI). It's a string of digits that we know belongs to you, and identifies to them which carrier is accessing their network, and whether the user (you) may use it. They have no access to your personal info. 

JohnAdkins
Neighbour

Thanks for the solution.