cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading

sam67
Just Moved In
If I want to upgrade but am still under contract, do I have to pay off the rest of it before upgrading or can I just switch my SIM card into a new phone?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Syaoran
Rockstar

You can swith your SIM into a new phone.  You don't have to purchase a device from a carrier and it is a lot cheaper to actually buy them at full price from the manufacture.  You not only save on the price hike of your plan with each upgrade, but you can upgrade as little or as often as you want.  There are a lot of great mid-range priced devices out there that complete with the highest price crap.  OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei, and many other companies make some amazing phones in and around the $500-$800 range that come with flagship specs.  

If you are willing to wait for a particular device, they tend to drop in price by more than half when the newer one comes out.  With the S9's being new, the S8's have gotten a lot cheaper.  The only real thing you need to be aware of is that not all phones are 100% network compatible.  If you buy Canadian version phones, then that's not an issue.  Buying some Chinese imports though means you might potentially not have some bands on your device.  A little bit of research about what you buying, what bands it supports, and what the network you want to use it on supports is always sound advice before putting down the cash to buy something.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Syaoran
Rockstar

You can swith your SIM into a new phone.  You don't have to purchase a device from a carrier and it is a lot cheaper to actually buy them at full price from the manufacture.  You not only save on the price hike of your plan with each upgrade, but you can upgrade as little or as often as you want.  There are a lot of great mid-range priced devices out there that complete with the highest price crap.  OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei, and many other companies make some amazing phones in and around the $500-$800 range that come with flagship specs.  

If you are willing to wait for a particular device, they tend to drop in price by more than half when the newer one comes out.  With the S9's being new, the S8's have gotten a lot cheaper.  The only real thing you need to be aware of is that not all phones are 100% network compatible.  If you buy Canadian version phones, then that's not an issue.  Buying some Chinese imports though means you might potentially not have some bands on your device.  A little bit of research about what you buying, what bands it supports, and what the network you want to use it on supports is always sound advice before putting down the cash to buy something.