cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock and Load. Or Unlocked?

Looking to replace my old C3 since "that other company" will be completely shutting down their 2G GSM network at the end of the year. Looking around at various stores, providers, online sellers, etc. for a cheap replacement (don't need/want a Smart phone at all).

Telus's page shows a few candidates, the cheapest being the ZTE Cymbal 2 ...
"Prepaid"
"$85 Upfront"
"No term pricing (1)"
"Retail price $85"
" (1)Taxes and pay-per-use charges (including long distance, roaming and additional airtime or data) are extra."

Does that mean this phone (and the other prepaid models) are completely unlocked? Not so-many-months of plan required before releasing into the wild? I could just walk in, buy one, stick in my SIM from "that other company" and start yakking? Or is there some hidden fine print on page 6325 of the "Quick Start Guide"?

Bestbuy also shows the ZTE, as well as the somewhat similar Coolpad Snap.
For Koodo, it's 79.95, for Telus it's 89.95.
Odd... Same phone, same specs.

Maybe Telus is just greedier (than its alter-ego that they make wear a different colour shirt so people won't realize they're the same person)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The CRTC changed the rules a few years ago that no carrier can sell a locked phone.

See: https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2017/06/crtc_puts_an_endtolockedce...

Telus and Koodo no longer sell the Coolpad Snap. BestBuy is likely trying to clear out old phones that weren't selling. The ZTE Cymbal 2 is the current pre-paid flip phone you can get from Telus or Koodo.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The CRTC changed the rules a few years ago that no carrier can sell a locked phone.

See: https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2017/06/crtc_puts_an_endtolockedce...

Telus and Koodo no longer sell the Coolpad Snap. BestBuy is likely trying to clear out old phones that weren't selling. The ZTE Cymbal 2 is the current pre-paid flip phone you can get from Telus or Koodo.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks, I pretty much knew all that. I was just a bit concerned that I might turn the phone on, and it will say "Hey, that's not our network... disconnecting... deleting OS... Have a nice day... *bzzzzzt*".

This reply was much longer, but I keep getting ther dreaded "The requested URL was rejected..." error message when I try to "Post".