cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live and currently in winnipeg but cellular data shows i am in ontario

Amdusias53
Helpful Neighbour
My signal shows i an in ontario but i am in Winnipeg. This causes me problems and i need it to be fixed. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Amdusias53
Helpful Neighbour
Contacted support. They say they only can connect through ontario or BC but cannot change it to BC because they can’t control their system. Than they tried to get me to pay for their security suite so i can use their VPN. What a joke. Sad

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you elaborate? What is giving you the incorrect location information?

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Amdusias53
Helpful Neighbour
Contacted support. They say they only can connect through ontario or BC but cannot change it to BC because they can’t control their system. Than they tried to get me to pay for their security suite so i can use their VPN. What a joke. Sad

Just curious, what website or tool are you using to determine your location?

If you are using a website to determine your location,  based on your phones ip address, when you are using mobile data you cannot expect to get a reliable answer. This is an issue with mobile data networks in general.

I suspect telus uses gateways in Toronto and vancouver to interface their mobile network to the internet and do some form of load balancing between the two locations.

If you need to have an ip address that resolves to a specific address you need to use a VPN.

Amdusias53
Helpful Neighbour
This problem is partly due to apple not allowing me to give precise location to certain apps but this would not be a problem if telus could afford to put up a few more towers. I guess it is too much for them. I would switch to bell but gonna stick with telus at the moment because i got a good contract. I just find it pathetic that they can’t provide me an ip where i am at but in ontario where are not allowed to do specific things such as trade bitcoin.

Where does the maps applications indicate your location?

Amdusias53
Helpful Neighbour
It thinks i am in Barrie Ontario

If Apple or Google map application show that you are located in the wrong city  then GPS based location information is not getting to the apps. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

What exact problems are you experiencing? You provided zero information. Without details, help is not possible. 

Your "signal shows" you are in Ontario? That's not how the internet works. What tool or website are you using to determine your location. Is that for a cell phone or a cellular modem/router?

@Amdusias53 wrote:

That makes zero sense. At all. I've never, ever heard of that in relation to cell phones. Please provide specific details about the problems you are experiencing.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

And i know it shows i me in ontario because when i look restaurants up in private browsing it brings me to places close to ontario. Also when i look up NHL games they show them as starting in ontario time zone. My poker app says i cannot play in ontario and to use their ontario app. Bitcoin says i am not allowed to trade due to local regulations because you cannot trade bitcoin in ontario.

And to clarify it is on a cell phone. Iphone 12 pro

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I think this explains it: “And i know it shows i me in ontario because when i look restaurants up in private browsing it brings me to places close to ontario.”

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Amdusias53
Helpful Neighbour
I want to add of i am on my wifi private browsing realizes where i am and shows things in winnipeg. Just like with a laptop or desktop. Private browsing will still get your general location as long as you allow the application to track you.

When I log on my email through my Apple app I get a warning that someone in Ontario just logged on to my email. Wth

When I login to my email, I get a email warning me that someone has logged into my email from somewhere in Ontario

Amdusias53
Helpful Neighbour
Just to make sure people understand. This is a relus issue that is made worse by the iphone. I give the iphone location access but this only activates general location access and not precise location so it thinks i am in ontario. I would allow it to use precise location but the app only asks for general location tracking and apple cannot enable it to allow precise location. This would not be an issue if telus would invest in a better cellular network and show my general location as the city i am in and paid for the service.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

iPhone locations services uses GPS and Wi-Fi to determine where you are. Neither of these are controlled by Telus. More here:

About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support

You may wish to try resetting locations services:

Step 1. In Settings, go to General. Tap on Reset.

Step 2. Choose Reset Location and Privacy tab.

Step 3. Enter your credentials and choose Reset Setting to confirm the action.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

I have reset my network settings did a full reset of the phone. Talked through it with apple support. Talked to telus and they told me that it is the way that there service is set up. It can route me through to toronto or BC or calgary. They said they cannot control which one so i needed a vpn. That is where they tried to sell me their security suite.

And if it only uses GPS and wifi this would be a non issue as i am where i am. GPS should be able to know where i am and since i am not connected to wifi while using cellular data according to your theory it would default to GPS.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You have a geolocation issue. This has been discussed here before many times. TLDR: Telus doesn't control geolocation databases and tech support doesn't have the ability to force your phone to get a new IP address and if it did you'd be back to the same issue. Bell would have the exact same issue. IP addresses get reassigned fairly regularly. The last location that your current cellular IP address was in use for any length of time was in Ontario. Geolocation databases are slow as hell to update and for cheap apps, websites and services that use the free databases, they can take up to six months to update the location. There's nothing you or Telus can do to force the cheap developers that don't want to pay for update location data. Some geolocation websites claim the minimum time is 30 days but that varies significantly depending on which site/database the app or website uses. GeoIP databases are rarely accurate unless you've had the same IP for a long time. The cellular IP that my iPhone has shows Calgary even though I don't live there. Example geolookup site: https://www.iplocation.net/. Go there while on wifi and on cellular only. Click "details" next to the line with your IP Location and it'll show location data for several of the databases for your current IP.

Private browsing mode will usually block precise location data forcing websites to go by the IP location instead.

Additionally, if you are using cellular, have Location Services enabled and are granting access to your precise location, you should have no issues because the phone should be using GPS also. If you open Apple Maps / Google Maps / etc. (apps not websites), does it show your correct location when on cellular? If no, and you're near a window or outside, does that correct it? If yes, then your gambling and bitcoin scam apps are using only the outdated geoIP data for your assigned IP and they are not even checking for your real location using GPS. If your GPS is somehow not working, you'll need to talk to Apple.

For my iPhone, even with the Calgary IP, not one app that I use that needs my precise location has any issue finding it with GPS enabled. Even when I'm indoors and not in range of the GPS satellites, the iPhone remembers the last position it had when I was on GPS.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I would love it if it would route me through calgary but i guess for 4 months straight i have been unlucky and getting ontario IP and it never ever realizes i am in winnipeg or calgary or BC. Seems a little weird that this is not under any control of the cellphone company that sold me the service but what can you do if they don’t have any control. Maybe they should not set up an IP in ontario due to all of their regulations. Also 888 poker is smaller but still a big name and binance is not small at all.