cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was told you can over charge a Samsung rugby lte using a car charger, is there any truth to this?

Popps
Just Moved In

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Check the output on the accessory.  If the amperage is too high... yes there can be damage.

BTW.  Are we talking about....

• the little USB port on booster packs?
  • the 12v accessory plug in the car?
  • hopefully not the big red and black battery clamps.  I assume you'll hear a "pop" and then nothing at all.

View solution in original post

Popps
Just Moved In

I bought a usb/12 volt adaptor from princess auto. I assume it just puts 12 volts to the phone and the phone takes care of the rest?????

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Popps wrote:

I bought a usb/12 volt adaptor from princess auto. I assume it just puts 12 volts to the phone and the phone takes care of the rest?????

Ummmm..... maybe with the cheap ones......

The USB standard is 5 volts, and a small number of milliamps.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@Popps wrote:

I recommend just unplugging the phone from the car charger when you think the battery is full.  Most dead phones are fully charged after 40 minutes of driving.  It's fully charged quicker if the battery is not dead.

I notice my phones are charged quicker in the car compared to a wall outlet.  Likely because of the amperage.

Another option are external batteries.  My fav....

You don't need a car to charge with an external battery and they can be used several times before recharging.  High mah batteries can even charge a tablet.

4 REPLIES 4

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Check the output on the accessory.  If the amperage is too high... yes there can be damage.

BTW.  Are we talking about....

• the little USB port on booster packs?
  • the 12v accessory plug in the car?
  • hopefully not the big red and black battery clamps.  I assume you'll hear a "pop" and then nothing at all.

Popps
Just Moved In

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Popps wrote:

Ummmm..... maybe with the cheap ones......

The USB standard is 5 volts, and a small number of milliamps.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@Popps wrote:

I recommend just unplugging the phone from the car charger when you think the battery is full.  Most dead phones are fully charged after 40 minutes of driving.  It's fully charged quicker if the battery is not dead.

I notice my phones are charged quicker in the car compared to a wall outlet.  Likely because of the amperage.

Another option are external batteries.  My fav....

You don't need a car to charge with an external battery and they can be used several times before recharging.  High mah batteries can even charge a tablet.