cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

take advantage of my new 1.5 gig service

mervincm
Organizer

I am wondering what the right path is to take advantage of this new enhanced service I was offered at my renewal. both short term and long term. 

I was told the only required step was to wait 10 minutes then restart my gear and it would be re-established at the new rates. That does not appear to be the case as I see 942 d /941 from my desktop. I know the 1Gb NICs will not allow me to see the full 1.5 .... but I seem to be stuck at the prior 940 mbps throttle value. Short term I would expect to at least max out my 1Gb ethernet

longer term, I want to max out the 1.5g to a single device. 

I have a non standard hookup, the 3200 fiber router they gave me is not even used.

My telus fiber is terminated to an SFP (or an SFP+) that is connected to my pfsense router wan port (1gbe NIC.) Its WAN port is then connected to a 10Gig switch. PC/NAS connected to switch 10Gb fiber. 

My hope is to replace the NICs in the router and that will be all that is needed.

If the fiber transceiver is SFP+ then I should get 1.5

if it is only SFP, then I am not sure what to do next. She checked that my telus supplied gear was fully capable of 1.5 before I agreed to the service agreement.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mervincm  Wrote: I saw a pic of a nokia device on another thread elsewhere that was in front of the telus network hub, it seems to me that this is all I need.

Indeed you are correct, however, the original question was related to utilizing and working with the 1.5Gbps service with the T3200M Telus supplied router/modem.

Now, you have raised the question of how to do this perhaps in a different hardware upgrade. This process is indeed possible, and preferable to just slapping a Gpon into a pfSense router, and kludging that system working.

This method entails having Telus upgrade your router to either the Arcadyan NH20A Router, or the Nokia XS-250XA. 

Both of these devices have a 10Gbps output port that you can indeed connect to another 10Gbps device, and have your full bandwidth utilization.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero

If your pfsense router WAN port is limited to 1 Gb then that's your max regardless of the capabilities of any other device.

I can replace it with 10g card quite easily.

DrPacman
Rockstar

@mervincm Wrote: I am wondering what the right path is to take advantage of this new enhanced service I was offered at my renewal. both short term and long term. 

This is possible to achieve with a little configuration... The following link to the video will help to guide you through the process... Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzk69kHLu1o

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Getting full speed out of my Telus 1.5 gbps connection using pfSense and a Broadcom 10gig ethernet card. Telus provides the GPON SFP module which normally plugs into their own supplied router. In my setup I have removed the module from their device and am running directly into pfSense. The ...

This was helpful thank you. I would rather not use a hacked NIC/driver in a security appliance. Is there not a telus supplied media converter that can take this GPON and output 10GigE? I saw a pic of a nokia device on another thread elsewhere that was in front of the telus network hub, it seems to me that this is all I need.

@mervincm  Wrote: I saw a pic of a nokia device on another thread elsewhere that was in front of the telus network hub, it seems to me that this is all I need.

Indeed you are correct, however, the original question was related to utilizing and working with the 1.5Gbps service with the T3200M Telus supplied router/modem.

Now, you have raised the question of how to do this perhaps in a different hardware upgrade. This process is indeed possible, and preferable to just slapping a Gpon into a pfSense router, and kludging that system working.

This method entails having Telus upgrade your router to either the Arcadyan NH20A Router, or the Nokia XS-250XA. 

Both of these devices have a 10Gbps output port that you can indeed connect to another 10Gbps device, and have your full bandwidth utilization.

Ideally I would be able to pop the gpon straight into my pfsense WAN NIC. Since that isn’t possible, I will still keep my pfsense router and upgrade its NIC to 10gig. What I would want from Telus would need to have a bridge mode for the 10g port. If it had some 1gig ports that I could not bridge, that would be a bonus. I have a tech coming on Friday as despite my best efforts, and multiple hours with support, I can’t seem to get more than about 950 dl (single device or aggregate of multiple) despite my bump from 1gig to 1.5g. Hopefully he has these options available for me.

I forgot to follow up. Indeed my service was provisioned incorrectly. The on-site visit was required. They gave me a NH20A and reprovisioned 1.5gbps I was then functioning correctly.