cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer not working after fiber installed

Peppercat
Friendly Neighbour

so during install of fiber optics my printer turned off and eventually back on. installer didn't check before leaving and I didn't either until  I actually needed to print stuff. Anyway it is connected via cable and not setup for wifi and now I get an error window saying no device found or check wifi connection. Again it is via cable. I called the installer as she said to if I have any problems but she is not responding I've left two msgs since March 1. any suggestions on how to get the printer to work I've followed the check list in the pop ups. nadah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

Sounds like your issues are between your computer and the printer. The switch to fibre has nothing to do with that. The default printer is a setting on your computer. Some applications will go print to the default printer automatically other applications may not select the default printer automatically. These are not issues the Telus service technician is responsible for.

Having said that, you may still be able to get some help here from the Neighborhood members but you need to be more specific about what you are doing and what you are seeing. You won't get specific help unless you provide specific details.

• What type of computer are you using, Windows, Mac, Chromebook?
  • What is the printer brand/model?
  • What application were you using when printing worked?
  • What application were you using when printing didn't work?
  • What does the print screen show as the selected printer in both cases?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you still have the same Telus gateway/router as before or was it replaced?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Peppercat
Friendly Neighbour

Same router

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's likely the IP address changed after the power reset. Your computer is probably trying to connect to it via the old IP address. Reinstalling the printer software might get things working again.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

I don't know how, my nephew set me up and he is no longer available. 😞

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cable from your computer to the printer, or from your router to your printer?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Peppercat
Friendly Neighbour

not sure my nephew installed it for me however he no longer is near me. I will have to check thanks. Nothing was disconnected.

Peppercat
Friendly Neighbour

update on data, so the printer is connected but isn't working correctly. I found the printer troubleshooting and it said printer wasn't dedicated as default so I followed prompt to fix it. Printer successfully printed a test page and two word docs however later when I tried to print attachments/downloads from emails in pdf format it would not print. I went back to troubleshooting and it said nothing was wrong. So whereas this printer worked on ALL types of documents now it appears to be selective. This is just since the update to fiber optics. Very disappointed that Telus installer is not returning my calls when they said "if any problems please call me". I have a class coming up tomorrow (Thursday that I need these docs printed for) any help appreciated. I have limited computer knowledge and counted on my nephew who is no longer available to help.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

When printing there should be an option to select what to print to. For the files that aren't working check to see if there is possibly more than one printer listed and try a different one.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

thanks, however I only have one printer installed.

xray
Hero

Sounds like your issues are between your computer and the printer. The switch to fibre has nothing to do with that. The default printer is a setting on your computer. Some applications will go print to the default printer automatically other applications may not select the default printer automatically. These are not issues the Telus service technician is responsible for.

Having said that, you may still be able to get some help here from the Neighborhood members but you need to be more specific about what you are doing and what you are seeing. You won't get specific help unless you provide specific details.

• What type of computer are you using, Windows, Mac, Chromebook?
  • What is the printer brand/model?
  • What application were you using when printing worked?
  • What application were you using when printing didn't work?
  • What does the print screen show as the selected printer in both cases?

Peppercat
Friendly Neighbour
thanks for you suggestions. It was working fine as the default printer NO issues at all until they did the migration to optic fiber. Printer turned off when she was upgrading the internet and although power restored printer hasn't worked 100% since.