cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening NAT type on Telus modem for online gaming (T3200M)

OGCryptor
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

Does anyone know how to change the NAT type on my Telus modem to open?  Would love to know how to do this.  I am plugged right into the back of the modem with an ethernet cable, fiber to home service.  My NAT type fluctuates between Moderate and Closed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OGCryptor
Friendly Neighbour

Side note for whoever finds this thread:  I also have a Nighthawk R7000 router.  I found a "NAT filtering" setting on it under Advanced Settings / WAN Setup.  I changed it to OPEN and that made a huge difference for the console and devices plugged to that router.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

OGCryptor
Friendly Neighbour

Model Model: T3200M

I am gaming on Xbox Series X but this issue would apply to any modern console I imagine.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've got a T3200 that's on default firewall settings (NAT only) and my NAT comes up as Open in some of my games that check for it. When I check in the Xbox Companion App on Windows 10 (Settings > Network) it shows open there as well.

natopen.jpg

Are your firewall settings in the T3200 set to NAT Only?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

OGCryptor
Friendly Neighbour

Looks like my modem has Firewall set on the default "NAT Only" though I never get NAT as "open" on my xbox.

Telus_modem_1.PNG

OGCryptor
Friendly Neighbour

Side note for whoever finds this thread:  I also have a Nighthawk R7000 router.  I found a "NAT filtering" setting on it under Advanced Settings / WAN Setup.  I changed it to OPEN and that made a huge difference for the console and devices plugged to that router.