cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

benefit to having your own router in front of modem?

rocketboy2000
Friendly Neighbour

i've always had a router in front of the ips modem until my router died recently.

is there any specific reason to have a router in front of a telus modem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Modem? If you're on DSL, nothing can be in front of the Telus gateway.

If you're on fibre, there is no modem. The Telus T3200M would typically be acting as a router in that instance. If you also have Optik, you do not want another router ahead of the T3200M unless you are absolutely sure it can handle multi-cast traffic (TV) and is correctly configured to do so. Extremely few consumer devices are capable of that. My last router that was capable of multi-cast, burned out in a year because it couldn't handle the workload. Only way I'll use my own router with the T3200M is on the LAN side with the Optik boxes only being connected directly to the T3200M.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Modem? If you're on DSL, nothing can be in front of the Telus gateway.

If you're on fibre, there is no modem. The Telus T3200M would typically be acting as a router in that instance. If you also have Optik, you do not want another router ahead of the T3200M unless you are absolutely sure it can handle multi-cast traffic (TV) and is correctly configured to do so. Extremely few consumer devices are capable of that. My last router that was capable of multi-cast, burned out in a year because it couldn't handle the workload. Only way I'll use my own router with the T3200M is on the LAN side with the Optik boxes only being connected directly to the T3200M.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

sorry i didn't word things right. i have the telus modem... and it has cable coming out to the optik tv pvr. i was thinking more a router "after" the modem for my internal network.

If you had your own router connected to LAN1 on the T3200M then you can set up your own separate network. The Optik boxes just have to be connected to the T3200M itself.