cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Boost and Ethernet

Yatsukin
Friendly Neighbour

Hi everyone,

I've just set up my two Wifi Boost sets, and I'm wondering whether the original one needs to stay connected to the router through the ethernet cable, or whether I can remove it and put it the booster in a different room (the second one is already where I want it to be)? Seems like it's kind of a waste to keep it next to the router, when the room with the router doesn't need any additional boosting. On the other hand, I don't want to monkey around with it anymore since it took a lot longer to set up than it should have.

Grateful for any input! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You need the first boost to be connected by Ethernet to the router. The boost units run their own mesh network separate from the WiFi the router runs. You should disable the WiFi on the router to avoid interference and signal congestion.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

xray
Hero
What you mean by "the original one needs to stay connected to the router through the ethernet cable"? Did you have a boost before and you just added 2 more?

Yatsukin
Friendly Neighbour

Hi xray, thanks for your reply. The boosters came in a pack of 2, so by original I mean the first one of the pair, which is connected to the router by the ethernet cable. I didn't have any boosters before this, but from what I'm reading, it looks like I'll have to get at least one more. 

You need the first boost to be connected by Ethernet to the router. The boost units run their own mesh network separate from the WiFi the router runs. You should disable the WiFi on the router to avoid interference and signal congestion.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@xray 

The T3200M router requires an Ethernet connection to the first Boost. The newer Arcadian unit does not, once the Boost units are set up, it manages the mesh from the router itself, allowing placement of Boost units away from the router location.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yatsukin
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks, NFtoBC! How do I know if this is an Arcadian router? If it helps, it was set up last August.

Grateful for the input. 🙂

Yatsukin
Friendly Neighbour

Looks like the Arcadyan router is white. Mine's black, so going by the link xray showed, I better just keep the first booster connected to the router.

Oh well! 

@NFtoBC Good to know. I have the T3200M and don't use the Boost so I'm just going by the online info which is a bit vague when it comes to the Arcadyan. Does the Arcadyan (WiFi Hub) become one node in the mesh or does it disable it's own WiFi automatically when the boost is added?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@xray 

It becomes node 0 in your mesh. AFAIK Wireless Optik set-top boxes need to connect to node 0.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yatsukin
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks again, xray. How do I disable the wifi on the router? Will that change the name or the strength of my network?

Joh
Just Moved In

How great that you posted this question.  In a magical universe, your question would be the first one to be answered - on the Telus box, on the Telus site. Your question - do you need to keep the #1 booster connected by Ethernet - is the very first question I had (I'm an engineer).  That said, I do not consider the question "Answered".  1) First of all, your Wifi router and Telus Booster #1 should not experience any interference if you put them on separate Wifi channels.  2) It's clear as mud, as to what equipment uses your original Wifi router as part of the mesh, and which setup doesn't.  Are there most than one version of Boosters?  Which Telus routers want it one way or the other?  I find the situation hilarious that what is for me the #1 most essential information, is exactly what Telus is doing "Information Hiding" on us with.  Summary:  question not answered.