cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is TELUS PureFibre FTTH service coming to Ottawa?

neonumber6
Neighbour

Earlier this year (2022) I saw DirectBore lay down optical fiber on behalf of TELUS next to a commercial street that is located just one block from where I reside.

When is TELUS PureFibre service planned to be available in Ottawa (ON) for Residential customers?

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bell currently is offering residential fibre internet in Ottawa. Have you checked to see what you can get with them? 

If it actually was a Telus fibre that was being installed, it may just be part of their backbone in the area or as an upgrade for a cell tower they have nearby. PureFibre is only being rolled out in western Canada at present. Telus has not announced any plans for any other part of Canada and I can't see them spending to build a second residential fibre network in Ottawa when Bell already has one.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:

Bell currently is offering residential fibre internet in Ottawa. Have you checked to see what you can get with them? 

If it actually was a Telus fibre that was being installed, it may just be part of their backbone in the area or as an upgrade for a cell tower they have nearby. PureFibre is only being rolled out in western Canada at present. Telus has not announced any plans for any other part of Canada and I can't see them spending to build a second residential fibre network in Ottawa when Bell already has one.

There was definitely a sign installed saying that DirectBore is installing for "TELUS".

It is a mixed Commercial/Residential area hence my question.

With only Bell and its expensive 110$/month plan I was wishing for some more competition.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus plans seem to be $120 & up, with occasional sales in specific markets dropping the price.

I second @Nighthawk's reply that it is likely commercial backbone, and may have arisen out of the Rogers collapse earlier this year. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

It definitely happened in January 2022 -- before the July 8th 2022 ROGERs collapse.

There was a sign explicitly stating that it was being done by DirectBore on behalf of TELUS.  This was definitely NOT Bell.

I've taken pictures during the winter as the work was happening as I was excited with the possibility that TELUS could be coming to Ottawa with PureFibre service which, according to prices I see on their website for BC/Alberta, are waaaay better than current equivalent Bell Fibe internet (e.g. TELUS prices apparently are under 100$/month for PureFibre in BC/Alberta).

It could be a commercial backbone though as it is right on the border of a commercial vs residential zone.