cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were we given the wrong modem/hardware?

CYork
Just Moved In

Hello,

We just moved into a new house and had our internet set up 5 days ago. The previous owner's left their modem (T3200) behind and when Telus came to install they simply reactivated this modem. We signed up for the gigabyte plan and haven't come close to that speed. With 230 being our best and 15 being our worst speed. Another issue is on our account it shows that we have had zero usage despite using it for the last 5 days. 

Should we have been provide with a different modem for our plan? As from what I can tell the T3200 doesn't support Wifi 6 and our speeds definitely seem limited. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kamak
Ambassador

Is that a speed test using ethernet or Wi-Fi? No, the T3200M does not support Wi-Fi 6. Did you ask/sign up for WiFi6 package? If so you should have been given the new NH20A Hub.

For an ethernet connection on 1Gbe you should get approx 940Mbs Up/Down

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

kamak
Ambassador

Is that a speed test using ethernet or Wi-Fi? No, the T3200M does not support Wi-Fi 6. Did you ask/sign up for WiFi6 package? If so you should have been given the new NH20A Hub.

For an ethernet connection on 1Gbe you should get approx 940Mbs Up/Down

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The T3200 supports gigabit for wired connections. I have one and get full speeds on ethernet. Wireless is a different story. Even with a Wifi 6 access point, I've never come close to reaching full speed on speed tests.  Closest I got was about 600mbps from about 10 feet away from the access point and direct line of sight.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

kamak
Ambassador

A Wi-Fi 6 enabled device will get approx 900Mbs+ if paired with a Wi-Fi (EDIT WiFi 6)router on a Gbe service. If the Wi-Fi router has MU-MIMO and 80MHz-160MHz DFS channels, you should be able to get 800 - 940Mbs within a practical range of the WiFi router.

CYork
Just Moved In

Thanks for the answers and help! It was tested only on wifi as the modem is in an inconvenient location and haven't had the opportunity to try ethernet. We are signed up for wifi-6 but I will double check and see if it is available in our area. Thanks again for all the help!  

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Both the Telus My Wi-Fi app and the advanced menu on the T3200M web page have the ability to run speed tests between the router and the Internet. This should show you the best speed you will get at your location.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

His issue is with WiFi6. He doesn't get WiFi6 with a T3200M. It's all relative to what he paid for or asked for.

Oh right, Do they actually offer the new equipment for WiFi6, ie the NH20A Hub, for example. Well if you signed up for it, it's available. So that actually shouldn't be an issue. As for WiFi 6, available in your area, WiFi 6 is not a service area related tech, it is only a WLAN tech, ie inner-home networking transceiver tech. If you could sign up for ISP service with a WiFi router/Hub, then you will get that equipment which will work in any area.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The NH20A Hub does not have Wifi on board. See here.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

2022-04-04_21-55-20.png

What the H is this?

What does the NH20A look like?

2022-04-04_21-49-58.png

This is the Arcadyan NH20A that I'm aware of. 

Arcadyan NH20A: ?

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/TELUS+Wi-Fi+Hub+(Arcadyan)+Teardown/129682

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That link is just the Telus Wi-Fi Hub. The NH20A is the flat square one.

Then what are we looking at here?:

2022-04-04_20-00-16.png2022-04-04_21-55-20.png

This is an ONT/router/WiFi all in one device made by Arcadyan 

A NH20A google image search come back with this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Arcadyan+NH20A&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA769CA769&sxsrf=APq-WBv1hAJ67Y-H4ReZx0...

Three different devices:

2022-04-04_20-16-59.png

So these two images are of the same device: Just with a cover off. You're saying this is the NH20A. It is not ONT (IS ONT), so how is this device fed from the Telus Fiber line? Nor is the Booster, fiber fed. So they keep using the G-240G-A? 

2022-04-04_20-21-02.png

These are not the same device. One is called the WiFi Hub(upper), the other is a WiFi booster(lower).

2022-04-04_20-30-09.png

Ah! it does get a fiber feed:

2022-04-04_21-49-58.png

"ie the NH20A Hub, for example" EDIT: the NH20A with WiFi 6 Booster package.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Wifi 6 that Telus offers is in a separate wireless access point from the router. You can find some details here. There is a set up video for the Wifi 6 AP. Even though it talks about the new hub, the setup with the T3200M is exactly the same except the AP is just connected to one of the LAN ports on the back.

I'm really confused now as to what the Arcadyan NH20A is. The Device that I've been referring to here, is a fiber fed, not ethernet or MOCA coax fed device. I've seen a bunch of different pieces of equipment floating around in the Telus WiFi 6 discussion forums. I'm very confused now.

Ah I see that the Booster WiFi 6 looks very much like the NH20A (Whatever the hell it is ONT/WiFi/HUB),

2022-04-04_21-55-20.png2022-04-05_14-49-27.png

but it is not the same at all. Probably made by Arcadyan, probably model B20?