cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI/internet connectivity issues in the evenings - keep on having to renew DHCP lease as a fix

GillyW
Neighbour

I am loosing connectivity to my wifi constantly and keep on having to renew the DHCP lease as a fix.

When I look at the available WIFI networks around me there are many strong Telus signals (I live in an apartment building).

Any other solutions/suggestions are appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you can connect another device with ether et to see, it would be helpful.

I experienced a similar issue years ago (pre Optik), and the issue was the copper line at the street - it was in a wet underground cabinet. Switching to a different pair by the Telus Tech fixed it.

You'll need to do a bit more surveillance of your connection to narrow it down, as I can't see renewing the DHCP as fixing a Wi-Fi issue.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you losing Wi-Fi connectivity, or Internet connectivity? Do ethernet connected devices remain connected when you lose connectivity, or all devices? Usually renewing a DHCP lease would indicate an internet problem not a Wi-Fi problem. It may mean a line quality issue, especially if you are on a copper connection.

Are you on copper or fibre?

NFtoBC

I am on copper - it seems to only be on WIFI (although the only ethernet connect device I have is my Optic TV - no disruption in Netflix/Amazon Prime)

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you can connect another device with ether et to see, it would be helpful.

I experienced a similar issue years ago (pre Optik), and the issue was the copper line at the street - it was in a wet underground cabinet. Switching to a different pair by the Telus Tech fixed it.

You'll need to do a bit more surveillance of your connection to narrow it down, as I can't see renewing the DHCP as fixing a Wi-Fi issue.

NFtoBC

Okay thanks for the suggestion.

I thought it may be a Apple thing (because all of my devices are Apple) .

Then I thought it may be the apartment upstairs from me - when they are home and trying to get onto their telus wifi - there may be congestion.

Because last night they were not home and I had great connectivity.

As you mention - there are alot of variables - if I were to call Telus out to come take a look do you think they can help me?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

"if I were to call Telus out to come take a look do you think they can help me?"

You will need to do some of the research I suggested first.  If you suspect congestion, hardwire as much as possible, as there is rally no better solution.

NFtoBC