cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN IP is not a true public IP

RDen
Just Moved In

Hello, my modem is getting a WAN IP that is not truly public: 100.80.xxx.xxx, I used to have a true public IP. Is there a way to get Telus to give me a real public IP so I can connect to my network from the outside? I am quite sure I used to have a true public IP until a recent move (keeping the same modem).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tbor
Organizer

I found a solution to this today, it's what worked for me so your mileage may vary:

I received the following advice from someone else: "Call TELUS. Tell them you are having problems with your connection being on NAT444 and you would like it changed back to NAT44."

When you call in and explain the issue further do NOT mention port forwarding. This will cause the agent to deem your inquiry as out of scope.

For example, I explained friends could no longer play games with me. I explained it was like being on a xbox with strict nat, except that I play on a computer.

The following is how I obtained a solution and where it may vary for you:

The agent wasn't able to change the NAT444 setting, they did not confirm nor deny they even had access to it.
The agent then involved network support (internal support team that only agents have access to), as the agent was unable to control my modem. (And of course they couldn't, because they were trying to control the IP I was natted behind.)
Network support wiped my QOS profile and recreated it. Whether the setting for NAT444/44 was in there or not, the agent would not confirm nor deny.
After re-creating my QOS profile, they had me reboot my modem. It came back up with a public IP.

The agent then explained to me that if I ever had the problem again, I could call in and ask to have my "QOS profile" recreated.

Theoretically this shouldn't ever be a problem again, unless someone at telus changes the profile sometime in the future.

This solution likely only applies to hard wired connections like DSL and Fibre. I don't believe it will work for LTE Hubs.

It may take you multiple calls to Telus to get this sorted. The agent I had today that managed to solve the problem was my 4th, so be patient, most importantly be kind and good luck!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

xray
Hero
The 100.80..0.0/16 address range is public.

RDen
Just Moved In

Sorry, but it's a non-routable private IP address for carrier grade NAT:

Private IP-address

Private internal addresses are not routed on the Internet and no traffic cannot be sent to them from the Internet, they only supposed to work within the local network.
Private addresses include IP addresses from the following subnets:

• Range from 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 — a 10.0.0.0 network with a 255.0.0.0 or an /8 (8-bit) mask
  • Range from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 — a 172.16.0.0 network with a 255.240.0.0 (or a 12-bit) mask
  • A 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 range, which is a 192.168.0.0 network masked by 255.255.0.0 or /16
  • A special range 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255 with a 255.192.0.0 or /10 network mask; this subnet is recommended according to rfc6598 for use as an address pool for CGN (Carrier-Grade NAT)

The modem indicates 100.80.x.x as its WAN IP address, but the external IP address is 209.121.229.41. NAT does not seem to happen from the external IP to the "WAN" address of the modem = can't connect from outside.

I used to have that external connectivity, but not since moving. Any way around that?

Alternatively I could use the IPV6 address of my computer but that too is not working to connect from the outside.

Thanks.

I recently went from Internet 75 to Internet 25 and that process switched me from a true public to a CGNAT IP. I spoke to telus support about 4 times and they all swore the CGNAT IP was public and everything was fine according to their network support team.

I learned elsewhere that Telus some time ago had quietly started employing CGNAT for Internet 6 connections and lower so I imagine in this day and age Internet 25 and lower or Internet for Good accounts are being lumped in with the undisclosed CGNAT limitation. Chances are customer support is clueless that this is happening, especially when their network support team is telling them that the 100.80 IP is public (even when the rest of the internet knows it isn't).

The people I spoke with at Telus didn't have any options for me to purchase a public address and if you type "public ip" in at Telus' online chat support window thingy it'll reply with "Currently, TELUS residential services do not support port forwarding. If you require port forwarding, a static IP through our business plans may be more suited for your needs."

If you need port forwarding about the only way you're going to be able to do that is use a third party service/solution. For example, I signed up at AWS (free for 12 months) and used a linux virtual machine to create a tunnel back to one of my machines here with wireguard.  Now I use the AWS IP to remotely view my security camera for the few times a month that I actually need it.

I can understand from a business perspective on CGNAT and lower tier internet service, especially with IPV4 space being empty, I just wish Telus would admit to it instead of sticking to the "100.80 is a public IP" script.

Thanks for this.  I just posed about it, having the same experience.  This really sucks, but it's only a minor convenience for me.  Hopefully, I'll upgrade to fibre in a couple of years, and it won't be an issue then *crossing fingers*.
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Gateway-router-WAN-IP-different-than-reported-at-what...

... minor INconvience ...

This forum sucks for not having an Edit function.

tbor
Organizer

I found a solution to this today, it's what worked for me so your mileage may vary:

I received the following advice from someone else: "Call TELUS. Tell them you are having problems with your connection being on NAT444 and you would like it changed back to NAT44."

When you call in and explain the issue further do NOT mention port forwarding. This will cause the agent to deem your inquiry as out of scope.

For example, I explained friends could no longer play games with me. I explained it was like being on a xbox with strict nat, except that I play on a computer.

The following is how I obtained a solution and where it may vary for you:

The agent wasn't able to change the NAT444 setting, they did not confirm nor deny they even had access to it.
The agent then involved network support (internal support team that only agents have access to), as the agent was unable to control my modem. (And of course they couldn't, because they were trying to control the IP I was natted behind.)
Network support wiped my QOS profile and recreated it. Whether the setting for NAT444/44 was in there or not, the agent would not confirm nor deny.
After re-creating my QOS profile, they had me reboot my modem. It came back up with a public IP.

The agent then explained to me that if I ever had the problem again, I could call in and ask to have my "QOS profile" recreated.

Theoretically this shouldn't ever be a problem again, unless someone at telus changes the profile sometime in the future.

This solution likely only applies to hard wired connections like DSL and Fibre. I don't believe it will work for LTE Hubs.

It may take you multiple calls to Telus to get this sorted. The agent I had today that managed to solve the problem was my 4th, so be patient, most importantly be kind and good luck!