cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use powerline adapters to move a T3200 away from the access point?

ry-guy
Just Moved In

The access point where the Fibre connection comes into my apartment is not in a good location to leave the modem/router, considering where most of our internet connected devices are. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a pair of powerline adapters to move the modem/router into another room? Like so:

Fibre Access Point ---> powerline adapter 1 ---> powerline adapter 2 ---> modem/router (T3200) 

Would there be any issues in doing so?

Thanks for any input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes it should be possible. For best speeds you may want to look for some gigabit powerline adapters. One thing to keep in mind is that some powerline adapters may introduce a bit more latency into the connection.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes it should be possible. For best speeds you may want to look for some gigabit powerline adapters. One thing to keep in mind is that some powerline adapters may introduce a bit more latency into the connection.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I use powerline quite a bit as I'm in a concrete 'bunker' condo and it's the only good option I have. I would suggest you run the powerline from the T3200M to the rest of your equipment. Your suggested configuration may work but I'm not on fiber so I can't say.

My current arrangement has a powerline adapter connected to the T3200M in our living room and then I have another adapter in the kitchen as well as one in each of our bedrooms of which the farthest from the T3200M includes a wi-fi access point. I've got about a dozen devices throughout the house all on ethernet and wi-fi is used primarily for mobile devices. 

You may find this helpful:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/

Cheers.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.