cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UISP UFiber loco GPON CPE compatibility with Telus Fibre

c0br3tii
Neighbour

Hi,

Is it possible to replace my current NOKIA ONT Fibre Modem with an UISP UFiber loco GPON CPE?

https://ca.store.ui.com/ca/en/collections/operator-isp-infrastructure/products/ufiber-loco

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@c0br3tii Wrote: would it still work?

I would highly doubt it... First of all the Telus supplied Gpon modules are registered within the Telus database. There is no where to insert the module into the UISP UFiber loco. I'm not sure how you would convince Telus to utilize a untested/unknown MAC address in the UISP UFiber loco to get access to the network.

2 solutions that I can think of, leave the Nokia in the line in bridge mode, and use your own routing solution, or remove your Nokia device, plug the supplied GPon Module into a Ubiquiti Unifi device sync up to the 1.5Gbps service.

If you have 2.5Gbps service, you have very little choice but leave the supplied Telus device (Arcadyan NH20A  - Nokia XS-250X-A) in the system in bridged mode, and output from the 10Gbps port is the only way the 2.5Gbps can be routed to your own equipment.

Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@c0br3tii Wrote: s it possible to replace my current NOKIA ONT Fibre Modem with an UISP UFiber loco GPON CPE?

I'm not sure just what your trying to accomplish here... Basically all this would do is convert the Fibre signal to a Ethernet signal. The UFibre loco has no routing or firewall capabilities so that functionality needs to be added to the mix.

However, if the main objective is to remove/replace a device that you can directly alleviate the your Nokia fibre modem, then, you can replace it with any of the following Ubiquiti Unifi devices. UDMPro, UDMPro SE, or the New UXG-Pro-US. they have the capability to directly ingest the fibre signal from Telus and output a signal to you network.

A number of caveats come to mind, first, I assure you that this method will not be supported by Telus in any way. Second, you'll need far more equipment to build out you network, i.e. a added switch and AP's for wireless support.

There are many YouTube videos on have to build out a Ubiquiti Unifi network online. I'd start there to see if you may want to undertake the task.... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

I to have my own routing solution and wireless. that is not the issue...

I would like to stop using the NOKIA ONT and replace with the UISP UFiber loco GPON CPE main to use the POE capability it offers..

Understanding it would not be supported by Telus at all, would it still work? I read something about the need to be 2.5gbs compatible and also that perhaps it would need to be registered at telus end somehow...

@c0br3tii Wrote: would it still work?

I would highly doubt it... First of all the Telus supplied Gpon modules are registered within the Telus database. There is no where to insert the module into the UISP UFiber loco. I'm not sure how you would convince Telus to utilize a untested/unknown MAC address in the UISP UFiber loco to get access to the network.

2 solutions that I can think of, leave the Nokia in the line in bridge mode, and use your own routing solution, or remove your Nokia device, plug the supplied GPon Module into a Ubiquiti Unifi device sync up to the 1.5Gbps service.

If you have 2.5Gbps service, you have very little choice but leave the supplied Telus device (Arcadyan NH20A  - Nokia XS-250X-A) in the system in bridged mode, and output from the 10Gbps port is the only way the 2.5Gbps can be routed to your own equipment.

Cheers...