cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus WiFi Boost Questions

Wuurbz
Neighbour
I have the Telus WiFi Hub / Modem (big white looking cylinder), and I've heard conflicting things from three separate Telus representatives. Once the WiFi booster has been sufficiently connected to the network via ethernet hard wire, do I need to keep it plugged into the modem? Or can I move it somewhere else in the house?
7 REPLIES 7

Wuurbz
Neighbour
Additional follow-up question: each booster has a WiFi network name and password associated with it on the back of each unit. Do I need to connect to the booster itself manually? Or will my devices automatically connect to the nearest booster vs. The main modem?

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Wuurbz each Boost system starter pack should come with two units. Once you've downloaded the app and logged in, you can connect the first booster unit to the modem (this first 'master' unit remains hardwired after set up). Then you can follow the instructions you were given to rename it, etc. Additional units can be then placed elsewhere and should only need to be connected to power, and of course also connected and named in the app.

That's what I'm confused about though. Part of the Telus boost instructions on their website says directly:

8. Important:
a. If you have a T3200 modem,
you must leave the first Booster
connected with Ethernet to the
modem.
b. If you have a TELUS Wi-Fi
Hub, you may now disconnect
the first booster from the Wi-Fi
Hub and move it to the location
of your choice. Plug the booster
into a power outlet, and wait for
the light to turn solid blue. You
may keep using your existing
Wi-Fi network.

Since I have the WiFi Hub, wouldn't I be option B in that I do not need to keep it hard wired?

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/manual-boost-wifi-installation

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, if you've got the WiFi Hub Gateway, it technically acts as the 'first' booster. Then, what you'd do is connect a boost unit into any of the yellow LAN ports of the Hub, connect to power, power on the boost unit and wait for the light to turn blue for a minute or so, and then you can disconnect it and place it elsewhere.

Would it be advantageous to keep the first one hard wired? Or is it just interference at that point?

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'd assume it wouldn't matter. You can always reach out to Tech Support at 1-888-811-2323 or try testing both placements to see if one has any advantage over the other for speed, connection, etc.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you keep additional Boost units hardwired, they will have faster throughput, as they don’t need to store and forward each packet in each direction.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"