cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Wi-Fi Hub (white) as modem & router VS as modem only + Apple AirPort Time Capsule as router??

razbarry
Just Moved In

I just found this forum & m new here. So I was wondering what to do. I m using a Telus Wi-Fi (fiber optic) Hub (white) as a modem AND wi-fi router. However, I also just got an Apple Time Capsule 2TB (lastest gen) with 'ac' networking.

I want to use the Apple TC as the wi-fi, & the Telus Hub as a modem, but I haven't found out if/how to turned off the wi-fi yet on Telus Hub. I think I m supposed to work put the Hub into "Bridge" mode. Will I be slowing the Internet and/or wi-fi speed down by using the TC 2TB, instead of using the Telus Hub for wi-fi???

I could return the TC 2TB or sell it. If I did, I was thinking of getting an Asus 'ax' router such as the RT-AX92U, OR just use the Telus Hub for a modem & router. I remember a few yrs ago, being told that a separate modem & router was better for speed (maybe), but in particular for security...it was like a "hardware firewall". I'm not sure if this is still true.

So what should I do? I m not a gamer (not now), but do lots of Internet surfing, uploading photos, watching TV using the Telus Hub or movies using Apple TV.

Should I keep or get rid of the Apple TC 2TB (last gen), which I just got, then get an 'ax' router, OR, JUST use the Telus wi-fi Hub (white tower) for everything. Please advise asap. Thanx

2 REPLIES 2

nvv6
Organizer
I would use the Telus wifi hub over the Apple time capsule. Apple stopped making them years ago and they aren’t really being updated anymore. The hub has a more modern version of AC and would be faster than the TC. I wouldn’t spend a lot of money on wireless gear to replace the hub unless you have coverage problems. Once 6GHz wifi (Wifi 6E) is available in Canada (2022 or later), then it might be worth upgrading.

Thanx, that's what I thot. Also, Telus said (when I called & asked how to have a separate router for wi-fi & turn wi-fi off on the Telus Wi-Fi Hub): "We don't support that [anymore]"

The reason why I liked the Apple AirPort Extreme & Time Capsule devices is because it is simple to setup, maintain & make changes on my Mac, iPh or iPad.

There IS a Telus Wi-Fi app, but I can NOT login to it. I think I did b4, but now, even after deleting the app, then reinstalling on my iPh, I can NOT login...but I CAN on my computer. This is quite frustrating & one of the thinks I DID like about the Apple AirPort routers is the ease of use.

Any suggestions 2 get the Telus Wi-Fi app working so I can login??