cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Fiber with Ubiquiti Dream Machine

Ming
Organizer

Hi everyone,

I have the Telus fiber coming into the Arcadyan Router and I am planning to get the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro(UDM). The UDM has 1 SFP+WAN port(10GbE), 1 SFP+ LAN Ports, and 1 RJ45 WAN Port. Click here for the UDM specifications. I am looking for 1.5 or 2.5 GIGA speed Telus network, how to get the full speed networking?

• Fiber -> Arcadyan Router -> UDM which port?

Which ports should be used in the case above?

Can I get away the Arcadyan Router with a special device to achieve the full speed?

• Fiber-> Unknow Fiber to SFP+ devices? -> UDM SFP WAN port -> full speed devices.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Ming Wrote: I am looking for 1.5 or 2.5 GIGA speed Telus network, how to get the full speed networking?

This is a somewhat complex problem to tackle. First, the solution is rather simple if you were contemplating the Telus 1Gbps fibre service. You can bypass the Telus equipment, and connect the Telus provided GPon transceiver directly to your UDMPro via the SFP+ port. all you have to make sure of is to lock the port to 1Gbps connection not the "Autonegotiation" or 10Gbps. This is done from the controller interface on the port configuration for the UDMPro. The 1.5Gbps service seems to work well with the same configuration.

Now going to the 2.5Gbps service is an entirely different kettle of fish....

The Telus equipment must be left in place, either of the currently supplied models of the ONT/Modems (Arcadyan NH20A or the Nokia XS-250X) must be placed in "Bridged mode" both of these devices output a 10Gbps connection.
That signal is then ingested again through the SFP+ or the RJ45 port depending on your cabling. 
The USGPro port must be locked again at 10Gbps this time to synchronize with the output signal from the Telus hardware.
Last consideration is if you have OptikTv included in you service, the Telus equipment must be utilized, and the TV signal can be connected to ports 2-4 on the device to the connect to your TV boxes.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Ming Wrote: I am looking for 1.5 or 2.5 GIGA speed Telus network, how to get the full speed networking?

This is a somewhat complex problem to tackle. First, the solution is rather simple if you were contemplating the Telus 1Gbps fibre service. You can bypass the Telus equipment, and connect the Telus provided GPon transceiver directly to your UDMPro via the SFP+ port. all you have to make sure of is to lock the port to 1Gbps connection not the "Autonegotiation" or 10Gbps. This is done from the controller interface on the port configuration for the UDMPro. The 1.5Gbps service seems to work well with the same configuration.

Now going to the 2.5Gbps service is an entirely different kettle of fish....

The Telus equipment must be left in place, either of the currently supplied models of the ONT/Modems (Arcadyan NH20A or the Nokia XS-250X) must be placed in "Bridged mode" both of these devices output a 10Gbps connection.
That signal is then ingested again through the SFP+ or the RJ45 port depending on your cabling. 
The USGPro port must be locked again at 10Gbps this time to synchronize with the output signal from the Telus hardware.
Last consideration is if you have OptikTv included in you service, the Telus equipment must be utilized, and the TV signal can be connected to ports 2-4 on the device to the connect to your TV boxes.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.