cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus 2.5 Gbps PureFibre X - what are people's experiences?

svrc
Just Moved In

I upgraded last week to PureFibre X from my old PureFibre 1 Gbps service.   I had an ActionTec 3200M + Alcatel/Lucent ONT.  

Here's what I received from the tech

- Nokia ONT with a single NBase-T RJ45 port (capable of 1 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps, 5 Gbps, and 10 Gbps)

- That's it.   

I happened to have an Orbi RBR50 Wifi 6 mesh hub with a 2.5 Gbps WAN port, so we hooked the ONT into that with Cat 6, and the Actiontec 3200m was in turn wired into that (to manage my STBs).   This way I verified with Speedtest that the speed is as advertised, we saw 2.3Gbps up & down.    

I also purchased the inexpensive ($170 CAD) Qnap 1105 5-port 2.5 Gbps ethernet hub, and verified it works fine to get an extra wired connection at the 2.5Gbps speeds, though I'd need a a router outside of the Orbi if I wanted that connection on my internal network.    

Is Telus going to be providing gear capable of using these speeds?  Telus is marketing PureFibre X with the new Telus Wifi 6 hub have, has anybody received it, is it any better than the Arcadyan Wifi 5 unit, does it have any 2.5 Gbps LAN ports?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SmoresGuy
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member
The 2.5Gb service does come with hardware that can support the higher speeds. The new Network Access Hub and Boost Wi-Fi 6 devices are designed for the service. I would suggest trying them out to see how they compare to your Orbi devices.

The Hub does have a 10G Ethernet port available that will allow you to connect with capable hardware.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SmoresGuy
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member
The 2.5Gb service does come with hardware that can support the higher speeds. The new Network Access Hub and Boost Wi-Fi 6 devices are designed for the service. I would suggest trying them out to see how they compare to your Orbi devices.

The Hub does have a 10G Ethernet port available that will allow you to connect with capable hardware.

DrPacman
Rockstar

@svrc 

I would be interested in knowing just what model of Nokia ONT Telus installed? Pictures would be great if your so inclined to attach them...

I suspect that the SFP+ module must be removable from the unit is that an accurate assessment as well....

Look to future proof my network install, and wanted to make sure that I don't make and error on the headend equipment that I currently have installed here...

My Regards,

DrPacman