cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address for SonicWall or edge router

gfang
Organizer
Hi Guys,
Telus usually offers 5 static ip addresses if requested. But Telus demands Mac address for each static ip address. A SonicWall or edge router has 8 ports. Each has a distinct Mac address. So we can get 5 different static ip addresses for 5 ports. Here comes the real problem for us. The different static ip address given by telus is almost always in the same sub network(meaning 5 ip addresses having same subnet mask and same gateway ip). Because of that, only one such static ip address can be used by one port. I ask telus to offer static ip address with subnet mask 30 so that each static ip address is in different subnet such that 5 can all be used by SonicWall or edge router 5 ports (otherwise we will need 5 SonicWall devices to use 5 public ip address and that's ridiculous). But so far, telus is not doing this. What is the way out of this problem?

Thanks a lot.

George.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

You have requirement that are beyond typical home users.

You will likely need to go for some form of business plan to get what you want. You can contact them and see if they have a solution that will work for you:

Small Business Internet Plans & Solutions | TELUS

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

You have requirement that are beyond typical home users.

You will likely need to go for some form of business plan to get what you want. You can contact them and see if they have a solution that will work for you:

Small Business Internet Plans & Solutions | TELUS

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Thank you for your reply. Sadly I am talking about Telus business account though I posted here. You are right. Typical home users would not try to connect many devices behind firewall (SonicWall or edge router) to public static IP addresses. Still Telus does not have anything to solve this problem. If you know a solution, I would like to know. By the way, we are actually trying to use Telus business internet as an internet backup option. The main internet is provided by Shaw. Unlike Telus, Shaw provides a subnet of public static IP addresses (so the number of public static IP addresses can be 1 (mask 30), 5 (mask 29), 13 (mask 28) and so on.) that you can access with only one port. This also means that multiple static IP addresses are given without demanding Mac addresses to match them. But that is another story and it is certainly too much to ask Telus for that. Here I am just hoping that Telus can provide public static IP address through small subnet (subnet mask 30 or 255.255.255.252) so that each of them is in different subnet and therefore they can be connected to different ports on SonicWall or edge router. Is this too much to ask?

At the very least, if Telus could give out 5 static ip addresses from 5 different subnets, then these 5 static IP addresses can be usable for SonicWall and/or router devices. However due to SonicWall security feature (anti-spoofing) preventing packets going from one subnet to another among these 5 subnets, other devices having IP addresses from any of these 5 subnets would have difficulty in connecting to our devices and services behind sonicwall. Therefore these subnets should be small with subnet mask 26, 27 or 28 and these IP addresses should only to assigned to customers like us consuming static IP addresses with only multiple ports on one device. If this is case, as a temporary solution we can make it to work for us especially as a backup internet service.