cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed slowly gets to normal on speedtest

SpeedyDinosaur
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

Something odd that I have noticed was that whenever I do a speedtest, my download and upload speed will slowly ramp up to the speed I pay for. Before when I started the speedtest it would go straight to top.

I currently have the gigabit plan, and the modem is plugged straight into my router then computer via cat5e.

https://gfycat.com/harshilliteratecottontail
Here is a video of it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have subscribed to a top of the line internet package. Need to remember that in most of the world they don't see a fraction of this and consumer routers simply aren't build to deal with that kind of speed, especially if you enable some sort of encryption on them.

Very easy way for you to see if the home router is cause of your slowdown.

Now that home router is on port 1 in bridged mode, unplug the RJ45 from your PC that goes into the home router and plug it directly into the modem in one of the other free LAN ports and run the same speed test. If you don't get the slowdown you see with your previous setup its time to either reconfigure or replace the home router.

If / When you add on router encryption/vpn to get line speed with your good fibre connection you need some serious specs most consumer hardware cant handle this.

Here is just one example of the hardware (and cost) scaling when you get into speeds the big boys are playing at.

https://www.netgate.com/products/appliances/

I have no affiliation with Netgate, however I do custom build routers using the same open source Pfsense platform.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

xray
Hero
That's normal. It's showing an average so early on the normal variations are more noticable. Think of Internet speeds as traffic on a road. Sometimes there are more cars than normal, sometimes cars travel faster than the average speed, sometimes cars travel faster than the average speed but over time the average is the average.

Second "faster" should be "slower". I wish could edit our posts.

SpeedyDinosaur
Friendly Neighbour

It just seemed strange to me because this didn't happen before. Thanks for the reply though!

It looks like it uses the same speedtest.net system, but I ran it and it was the same, it would slowly ramp up.

I asked you to run the second test just in case there were some issue with peering that their direct link may resolve but looks like that is not the problem.

Unless this is an extremely old/tired machine PC it shoudn't be this bad.

Not sure why you are seeing the ramp up as much as you are, however I agree with you that it is not normal.

This location is only on the 750/750 but it literally starts instantly at 720 and ramps up to 760-800 both up and down.

In your Telus modem settings, you do have port 1 set to Bridged mode?

What happens when you plug your PC into one of the other ports on the telus modem and bypass the second router? Is it any better?

Also worth mentioning, I saw similar results though not as drastic when i swapped browsers to MS Edge with Windows 10 Pro Build 2004 with the "Application Guard for Microsoft Edge" running.

Try with Firefox if you were using Edge and see if it is any better, might be as simple as the windows update changing the way Edge was running on your machine.

I don't think browser was a problem, I was using chrome.

I turned port1 bridge on in the telus modem settings, and now I can't access the telus modem webpage on my second router network, is that normal?

I also restarted my router and used a different ethernet cord and the speed still ramps up but it's signifcantly faster and I hit the maximum speed by the end of the speedtest.

However when I plug in the ethernet cord directly from the modem to the computer, there is almost no ramp up and I believe it hits the maxium speed faster. Is there a problem with the second router that's bridging the modem to my computer?

Ideally if you are using a third party router with the 3200 modem it will be set (the modem) to port 1 bridged mode. You hook your home router then to port 1. Simply this allows port 1 to act as a pass through to allow your router to handle routeing instead of using the modems built in routing.  This is why you can't access the modems admin page through your home router. This is normal/good, if you need to access it plug into any of the other 4 LAN ports on the T3200M.

For now you are already better off because you had double NAT situation you fixed by enabling the bridged mode. Which home router are you working with?

You have subscribed to a top of the line internet package. Need to remember that in most of the world they don't see a fraction of this and consumer routers simply aren't build to deal with that kind of speed, especially if you enable some sort of encryption on them.

Very easy way for you to see if the home router is cause of your slowdown.

Now that home router is on port 1 in bridged mode, unplug the RJ45 from your PC that goes into the home router and plug it directly into the modem in one of the other free LAN ports and run the same speed test. If you don't get the slowdown you see with your previous setup its time to either reconfigure or replace the home router.

If / When you add on router encryption/vpn to get line speed with your good fibre connection you need some serious specs most consumer hardware cant handle this.

Here is just one example of the hardware (and cost) scaling when you get into speeds the big boys are playing at.

https://www.netgate.com/products/appliances/

I have no affiliation with Netgate, however I do custom build routers using the same open source Pfsense platform.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll also need to factor in that many speedtest sites do climb like that for ultra high speed connections. I see the same thing when testing using speedtest.net from my workplace's gigabit Shaw connection that is using the professional networking gear.

Fast.com is one speedtest I've found that'll hit gigabit for speed tests extremely fast.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hi Nighthawk. The issue has mostly been resolved after I restarted the second router and switched the ethernet cord. It still ramps up, but it'll jump up very fast unlike before.

Yes I know that it is an extreme privilege to have access to such high speed I'm just trying to get as much as what I'm paying for. 

I forgot to note that I am not using the second router in this situation as a replacement to the modem. I have a long ethernet cord that is connected to the modem, and then an ethernet cord from the second router to my computer. I do this so that I can also have Wi-Fi. Which is why I turned off bridge mode.

The modem I have is the T3200M. Something I found that was super strange was when I plugged in the ethernet cord directly from the modem to my computer is I had a different IP address, but when I connected with Wi-Fi to the modem I had the same IP as before.

The ramp up thing isn't really an issue anymore after I restarted the second router and switched out the ethernet cord, I very much appreciate the advice though! Thank you

Also, what does bridging port1 exactly do? Thanks for replying by the way

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus explains Bridge Mode here.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"