cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So having a lot of trouble connecting my xbox to the internet.

graym672
Helpful Neighbour

It doesn't matter what settings I change, I can manually set up the entire network, port forwarding, upnp, DMZ, it does not matter what I do. The Gateway decides to "help me" and views my xbox as OptikTV and overrides ANY settings I make and only allows OptikTV protocols. I have replaced my modem, but it still makes no difference.

Is there any way I can change this?? Technical support has been of no help whatsoever, and don't seem to understand what I am even talking about when I tell them that my port-forwarding is being overridden by the machine.

Please help 😧

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you reset your network settings on your Xbox to dynamic and get's all it's network info from the router. To me it sounds like you may have old settings on your XBox that don't play well with your current configuration.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

graym672
Helpful Neighbour

Oh yes, T3200M is the device.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's not clear what you are trying to do? Under normal circumstance you shouldn't need to do any configuration. Note that if you do have OptikTV certain IP addresses are reserved for that service. Possibly you are attempting to use those for your XBox? I have a few static IP addresses and I started reserving from 192.168.1.100 and above.

I am trying to connect my xbox to the internet through its normal protocols. Thats it. You're absolutely right I shouldn't have to do any configuration, but the modem is overriding any information sent by the console to allow for OptikTV protocols. For example, Xbox Live uses the following ports to communicate:

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)

This should all be figured out from the xbox and the router itself, yes. It doesn't matter the IP address I manually set, and it doesn't matter what port forwarding I set up (telus will NOT allow Port 88 UDP access into their TV system for example, even if I set it up), it will override WHATEVER I set up, and only give me the following:

PORT STATE SERVICE

21/tcp open ftp

1065/tcp open syscomlan

9999/tcp open abyss

All other devices function properly, and are recognized by my network, this particular device works exactly as it should on other networks, but I cannot for the life of me get my Gateway to view it as ANYTHING other than OptikTV.

oh yes, I do not have OptikTV, and I have even assigned manual IPs out of range and it STILL shows as optiktv. Wired, or wireless.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Why not start with the default settings for your router and see how that works before you start assigning static IP's and port forwarding? Neither of those settings should be necessary for your XBox.

Where exactly are you seeing your XBox as OptikTV?

Well I obviously started with default settings, I didn't start troubleshooting for no reason. The system has been factory reset, manually set up, reset again, everything you can imagine, but it just straight up refuses to allow the port access it needs, and overrides forwarding.

https://imgur.com/a/DWVlWqD

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you configured a static IP address on your XBox? Possibly it's conflicting with a Telus required address. On my T3200M the following addresses are reserved by Telus:

Yes, even outside of the range.

I have even attempted to use a laptop as a bridge to see if it would allow different protocols. I was unable to get that to work either.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only other thing I can think of would be to try a dynamic IP.

graym672
Helpful Neighbour

I think its time to throw in the towel, and change service providers, sadly.

No matter what I do, no matter I change, this Gateway will override any port forwarding I do when it comes to this specific device.

Its like it remembers the early 2000s when Xbox 360 was one of the main ways to access the OptikTV service, and it locks in the modern OptikTV protocols on a legacy device. Yes Telus, I understand that OptikTV does not need to accept incoming traffic through port 3072 to function. I really really do understand that. I also understand that you want to protect customers and your intellectual property.

The fact that the answer I was given was "Well, Telus OptikTV needs to connect to the internet to work, so we are delivering internet to that device and therefore fulfilling service" was ridiculous, but I don't think they can do much else. I think this is actually just not going to be possible with this hardware combination.

I don't really enjoy doing things like this, but there is a quite a bit older model of Gateway they have with poor enough security that I could get root access, I do know someone that still has one. I am certain Telus would frown upon that level of manipulation as well though, I don't even know if it would be legal. Hmmph.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you reset your network settings on your Xbox to dynamic and get's all it's network info from the router. To me it sounds like you may have old settings on your XBox that don't play well with your current configuration.

Yes I did, multiple times.

Both factory reset multiple times. Still won't see it as anything other than an OptikTV and won't allow any other protocols. Replaced the modem even.

Took the Xbox over to a family member's house with Shaw to test, and everything works exactly as it should.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Possibly an issue with the MAC address? This is mentioned in the following article in the section "What Else Can Prevent an Xbox One From Connecting to a Wireless Network?"

How to Fix an Xbox That Won't Connect to Wi-Fi (lifewire.com)

Very strange.

Yes! That's what I had thought may have been the problem too, like some sort of legacy code left over that's not an issue for 99.99999% of people but somehow hit my configuration, but it doesn't seem to care if I change the mac address. I've given it an original MAC address not shared by anything on the network, and I tried just copying one of my other devices MAC address too. Still did not work!! Silly silly machine.

I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out where it is coming from that somewhere between the xbox and the gateway the communication is "OptikTV protocols".

I know that there is another "firewall" layer (is it still called a firewall at that point? I'm not sure) ISP side as well, that will affect things even outside of my own firewall, but whatever this problem is I think its gone well beyond the scope of something we can solve, and its a **bleep** Xbox 360 that I bought for 60 bucks lol. It became more the principle and challenge of solving the problem at this point I think.

graym672
Helpful Neighbour

Honestly, its purely an issue of hardware not playing nice with each other for some unbeknownst reason. Its hard to pinpoint it, because its not the ISP service, it works, its not the xbox, it works, and its not the gateway, it works. Put them together, and they can't figure out how to communicate.

graym672
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks for all the help 🙂

I have a XBox 360 and the T3200M but I use my own router in between. I've never tried connecting the XBox 360 directly to the T3200M. It should be easy enough to test as I just need to swap the Ethernet cable from the Optik box to the XBox.