cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSID Isolation for Guest Network (T3200M) - Chromecast

T3200M
Neighbour

Hello,

So I have a T3200M where I have a main wifi network running in smart mode so it automatically manages the 2.4/5ghz network for me with the same SSID name, which is great for my office where everyone has the same network/password setup.

Now I also enabled the guest network and set up my office TV on it which will allow office staff and visitors to present on it using a Chromecast, however, it seems Chromecast is only visible and able to connect when the guest network has the "SSID Isolation" disabled. But it does work just fine with the option turned off.

As I understand it, the SSID Isolation is to prevent users on my guest network fro seeing/discovering devices on my primary network and vice versa, but it also seems like it blocks peer/client discovery on the guest network itself. I guess this is by design for a "guest" network for security reasons.

So my main question is: With the SSID Isolation disabled on my guest network, and users being able to see/discover my main network.....is there any point in having the guest network at all? Is it exposing me to a security risk for my main network devices if they're all password protected at the device level?

Are there any benefits other than occasionally updating the wifi password without disrupting my main network connectivity? My home router (Asus) allows my main network to see/discover my guest network, but not the other way around, which would be ideal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Won't affect the SSID isolation on the T3200 because the firmware is as it is.

It would however give you the possible option of having a physically separate router without needing to mess with settings on the T3200. If you have an ONT (the box that converts fibre to ethernet) you can essentially attach a gigabit switch to it. Have one ethernet cable from the switch connected to the WAN port on the T3200 and hook up a separate router's WAN or internet port directly to another port on the gigabit switch. Each router will have their own separate external IP address in that configuration. They will also be 100% separate and for the second router for guests, you can configure it however you want without any worry that they can access anything on the T3200 network. Just note if your office has Optik TV, the set top boxes will have to still be connected to the T3200.

This is essentially how I would configure my network in your situation. Gigabit switches, especially a basic 5 port one, are typically very cheap to buy. $20 or less if on sale. I have a number of gigabit switches in my network currently. Mostly 8 port but includes this 5 port gigabit switch which I have had no issues with so far.

🙂

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

T3200M
Neighbour

Just wondering what my alternatives are if using a guest network with SSID Isolatoin disabled is a bad idea:

Should I buy a cheap router and set it up as a local hotspot for the TV where people can connect and cast?

- this would leave the presenter without internet access which isn't ideal, since a visitor may need to pull up a website, presentation, email, etc...

Can I configure a separate router as above and hook it up to the Telus router for internet access, but not expose my main network?
 - not sure how to isolate it from the main network, which would leave me with the same issue as running a guest network with SSID Isolation disabled.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you on fibre or are you on DSL?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I'm on fibre. Does that affect the way SSID Isolation works on the modem or is there another option available to me to achieve what I'm looking for?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Won't affect the SSID isolation on the T3200 because the firmware is as it is.

It would however give you the possible option of having a physically separate router without needing to mess with settings on the T3200. If you have an ONT (the box that converts fibre to ethernet) you can essentially attach a gigabit switch to it. Have one ethernet cable from the switch connected to the WAN port on the T3200 and hook up a separate router's WAN or internet port directly to another port on the gigabit switch. Each router will have their own separate external IP address in that configuration. They will also be 100% separate and for the second router for guests, you can configure it however you want without any worry that they can access anything on the T3200 network. Just note if your office has Optik TV, the set top boxes will have to still be connected to the T3200.

This is essentially how I would configure my network in your situation. Gigabit switches, especially a basic 5 port one, are typically very cheap to buy. $20 or less if on sale. I have a number of gigabit switches in my network currently. Mostly 8 port but includes this 5 port gigabit switch which I have had no issues with so far.

🙂

rc
Rockstar
Have you look at guest mode on the Chromecast?

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6109286?hl=en-CA

I have explored the guest mode on Chromecast but it seems like it only mobile devices are able to find it via nearby devices. I've tried both Windows and Mac and they do not see the Chromecast as a device from the Chrome browser, and unfortunately that is my primary use case.

I believe the switch between the fibre box to the router plus my own router as suggested will most likely suit my needs best.

Thanks!