cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding ethernet connection in an apartment

brianj411
Just Moved In

Hello, 

I live in an apartment with the modem and router set up in a closet on the first floor. I've been getting unstable wifi for the past couple months for whatever reason and wanted to move on to using ethernet cable to strengthen the internet connection. From my very limited knowledge and brief internet search, it sounds like I should have internet flowing through 4 of the rooms/areas of my house? (Because of the 4 internet cables connected to the T3200M).

There is what looks like an ethernet port in my room and I tried connecting my laptop via internet cable, but it didn't achieve any connection.

Can you guys please advise me on what I should be doing? Is it even possible for me to have LAN connection in my room? I've attached a picture of the modem/router set up, as well as the ethernet port in my room. Sorry if I don't make any sense, I'm technologically challenged and clueless when it comes to this stuff!

Thanks in advance!

https://ibb.co/hV8G0P2
https://ibb.co/NY3gzH5
https://ibb.co/PDnpm5M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

polecat
All-Star

@brianj411 @RonAKA  Looking at top cables 4 coming from modem to where the green wire are correct? Unplug 1 or 2 or 3 or 8 and plug into your laptop do you get connection Yes or no? If you do modem working ok. I assume these green go to bedroom? I think they are wired to carry telephone not wired for internet. Are the wires cate  5 or 6 if they are the color codes probably don't match the proper positions at both ends of their runs. If your laptop works on 1-2-3-8 i think wiring is messed up one end or other or some wires not connected. You probably a computer guy to sort it out. Polecat

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RonAKA
Rockstar

You have a real spaghetti of wiring there. Basically if you have Ethernet going to your room which should be the bottom blue port on the wall, and the other end of that Ethernet wire is in your closet and you plug it into your laptop Ethernet port then it should work. The trick would be figuring out which of the cables there are the Ethernet ones going to your room. If you use a short Ethernet cable on your laptop to go direct to one of the four T3200M ports you should be able to confirm your laptop can accept it. 

The ethernet ports on the T3200M are the yellow ones. So, you would need an ethernet cable from those ports to your room.

RonAKA_0-1600645885668.png

polecat
All-Star

@brianj411 @RonAKA  Looking at top cables 4 coming from modem to where the green wire are correct? Unplug 1 or 2 or 3 or 8 and plug into your laptop do you get connection Yes or no? If you do modem working ok. I assume these green go to bedroom? I think they are wired to carry telephone not wired for internet. Are the wires cate  5 or 6 if they are the color codes probably don't match the proper positions at both ends of their runs. If your laptop works on 1-2-3-8 i think wiring is messed up one end or other or some wires not connected. You probably a computer guy to sort it out. Polecat

polecat
All-Star

@brianj411 @RonAKA  Even if it is telephone wire not data (cate) it can be used for data. 

If you lift that cover on the outlet in your room you should be able to tell what colour the cable is to the lower ethernet connector. The top one looks like CoAx for Shaw TV or satellite. 

@RonAKA   Yes in see 4 coax leaving that panel. Incorrect wiring sequence my guess.