cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of the ONT

Bdizzle
Neighbour
What is the purpose of the ONT?

Is it simply to convert the fibre to rj45 or does it do other tasks?

The reason I ask, is I have read that you can put a switch after the ONT and have one port of the switch go to the T3200 and the other port from the switch to your own router.

Thus having the T3200 doing all the optik tv stuff and you can use your own router for everything else.

This is what I would like to do, but I just realized on my install there is no ONT, the fibre goes directly into the SFP on the back of the T3200.

Since there is no ONT,could I use a switch with an SFP input so fibre would go into switch and than run an output of the switch to each router?

Or is putting the T3200 into bridge mode the only way I can use my own router?

Thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've used my own router on a T3200M without putting it into bridge mode. Just have to make sure the subnet on your personal router is not 192.168.1.x.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've used my own router on a T3200M without putting it into bridge mode. Just have to make sure the subnet on your personal router is not 192.168.1.x.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I tried double nat once before and I seem to remember having issues when gaming.

If bridge mode or double nat are my only two opions I guess I will try it out and see how it goes.

Thank you for your response.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I actually never had any issues gaming with double NAT. Then again it may also depend on the games you play.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk ,

I had the problem of the second router assigning IP addresses to devices connected to the T3200M. Bridging port 1 seems to have stopped this issue.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

kevhawk
Organizer

You can pull the SFP out and put it into a media converter or an SFP (non +) capable switch. Not all devices support these SFP ONTs though and some don't have decent cooling for them and tend to cause the SFP module to overheat and restart.

If you have an ONT you can remove the T3200M completely and connect directly you just need to make sure your router supports IGMP Proxy with quickleave off.

Telus isn't doing anything special with all this and that's a good thing it's really easy to use your own stuff not that'd they support it.

Well this who telus so called fibre internet is a joke with how telus has things set up the ONT should have two wired out one for the telus t3200m and one for seperate router .

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can add a switch between the ONT and your routers, or bridge the T3200M to a second router. The ONT follows the same process Telus has always offered: a single path to your router/gateway.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"