cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pure fibre vs. Shaw

cdt79
Just Moved In
I live in Belcarra and recently Telus installed fibre out here. I’m wanting to switch to fibre but when I contacted Shaw to cancel they told me the following... “ OK, so with Telus fibre, unless they have attached something new to your home, or dug up the yard, it is the same as She, fibre to the nod and then wired down with coax.”. Is this true? It makes a difference because I need to payout my Shaw contract if I cancel so I want to make sure I’m getting better internet. All I know is that Telus hung the fibre wires about our homes. If I choose to sign up will they install something else on the outside of the house?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Fibre to the node and fibre to the house are very different things. Fibre to the node is basically VDSL (phone line) and Telus isn't expanding the copper network currently. VDSL also doesn't use coax so I don't think the Shaw rep quite understands how DSL works.

When installing fibre with above ground lines in the area, then the fibre is just strung from the pole to the house. Aerial installs are extremely fast since they don't need to dig and they install the line to the house when the service is ordered and installed. The installer will just install a fibre terminal box and a small hole is drilled to get the line inside.

Telus does have Belcarra listed on the fibre communities so you should be able to get it. You'll want to contact Telus to be sure. There will likely be a delay for installation due to Covid-19 since in home installs are currently suspended.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Fibre to the node and fibre to the house are very different things. Fibre to the node is basically VDSL (phone line) and Telus isn't expanding the copper network currently. VDSL also doesn't use coax so I don't think the Shaw rep quite understands how DSL works.

When installing fibre with above ground lines in the area, then the fibre is just strung from the pole to the house. Aerial installs are extremely fast since they don't need to dig and they install the line to the house when the service is ordered and installed. The installer will just install a fibre terminal box and a small hole is drilled to get the line inside.

Telus does have Belcarra listed on the fibre communities so you should be able to get it. You'll want to contact Telus to be sure. There will likely be a delay for installation due to Covid-19 since in home installs are currently suspended.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you so much for your reply!