cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Help for Telus Network Access Hub

SpotOnSpenny
Just Moved In

Hello friends!

I'm taking a dive into setting up a home server for use as a cloud storage device as well as some other fun things. I've got things set up on an old PC that is running Linux (Zorin OS) which will act as a server and provide services through docker containers. So far I've been having a lot of fun with things, but became have gotten stuck trying to make services available externally to my network.

My setup so far is as follows:

Purchased domain  --> Proxied through CloudFlare --> My Public IP address --> My servers private IP address

I've gotten the CloudFlare part up and running no problems, but am having problems with port forwarding. Despite setting the port forwarding rules on my NH20A router on my 1g optic plan and even turning off the firewall completely for testing, I've not been able to get ANY ports to be visible (checking through https://canyouseeme.org/). This has become a problem as trying to make services available externally is getting cut off at my public address not forwarding to ports running services on my server.

Does anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting tips on how to help this? I'm somewhat at a loss now as I've been at this for ~2 days and have not had any luck, none of the information on the other threads seems to be helpful in this case.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

JeffGlen
Neighbour

I see you didn't get any response. Well, count me in. I am a new Telus Fibre customer as of today. And I have a similar setup and therefore problem. I had port forwarding to a linux box with Shaw and it worked well. The linux box is a server but also acts as a jump host to the rest of the internal network. Without any open ports on the outside this is meaningless now. Unlike you I don't even have any firewall or port forwarding rules in my NH20A. The UI is largely empty and very basic. I don't see any expert switch either. I have been thinking of getting a cheap VPS and set up a VPN as my gateway to the world. Extra complication and cost. I wish Telus would assume their customers are doing more than binge-watching Netflix. We are years into the digital nomad revolution.

Update: Finally I found the firewall rules and port forwarding in the NH20A. But just like you said they don't do what they should. The ports aren't open despite my setup. I'll keep trying. If you could resolved this I'm happy for any pointers.

JeffGlen
Neighbour

Update: I got it to work. And I don't know how. The rules are still the same. Maybe resetting helped when it saved the config? I'm not sure. It seems like it takes a while before the new configuration is applied. Hope that helps anybody else who finds this post.