cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orbi rbk752 add to Telus hub

Robincanucks
Neighbour
Hi I want to add orbi mesh system to Telus hub white tower thingy is it possible to run two routers on one account
8 REPLIES 8

Robincanucks
Neighbour
It’s just the Internet no optic tv or anything and want to run to routers simultaneously, if possible how?

@Robincanucks 

Let me see if I have the scenario correct…

You currently have the Telus provided router that looks like the following…

PmESkh5svfUYNxYI.jpgJikj5PXWWHYeOLKg.jpg

And you want to add the Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh?

orbi_rbk752_g4_779x536_tcm148-120299.jpgRBK755-Hero-carousel-image_tcm148-127099.png

Ok, this is possible indeed.

You’ll have to log into your Telus router that you currently have. Find the setting to put that device into what is referred to as “Bridged mode” That will effectively render the Telus modem nonfunctional. It will only be utilized to passthrough the internet signal to the Orbi Router.

Connecting the Orbi router will take over the function of the Telus router from there on out. So, that is where you'll have to do all of your network configuration from that point forward.

Depending on your needs you will be able to expand the number of satellite’s connected to the Orbi system that will meet your needs, I believe it is expandable from 1 satellites, to a total of 4.

If I'm not correct in my assumptions, I'm very sure someone will chime in and correct me...

Cheers

Whole scenario is correct except I want both the routers to be working so one network for tenants and one for me

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you connected with Fibre, and an ONT prior to your router? If so, put a switch between the ONT and two routers, one for the tenant, and one for your needs. This will provide two separate IP addresses.

Else, put a second router on a second subnet (192.168.10.xxx), but do not bridge your current router.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@NFtoBC 

I absolutely agree with your statements above. The only cavate I would include is that this will produce a double NAT situation if you hang a second router off the first, now the only time it may effect any of the users would be if the tenant network as describe above requires a routable IP within the network for such things as a game etc.

As one would expect, I like the switch to 2 router solution the best... Again the only caveat, is I have seen more times then not Telus issuing carrier grade NAT to the 2 WAN IP addresses, and this causes it own issues as well for gamers...

Other than that he's good to go... Cheers....

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There comes a point where the tenant should be obtaining their own telecommunications connection.....😇

Another option might be to bridge Port 1, and connect the tenant's network to it, and the rest of the homeowner's network to ports 2-4.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Robincanucks
Neighbour
So no gamers in the house. Main use is work and 4K videos and and regular Wi-Fi devices. So if I hook up orbi to one of the Ethernet pots on the Telus hub then what setting I need to change on Telus to make it a two different networks

The Orbi will get an IP address from the Telus router automatically, you need to then log into the Orbi and make sure that the LAN IP's or the internal network is not he same as what the Telus modem is issuing...

So for example if the Telus modem is issuing a IP range say for example 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.1.255 then the Orbi will require another series, say for an example, 192.168.100.1 -> 192.168.100.255